8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was cleaning my car today and decided to finally touch all the rock chips on my hood (probably 10 or so) before winter comes and it starts to rust. When I bought my car the sales man gave me the stupid touch up pen. I know not to use the pen because it is a crap for touch-ups, so I emptied out all the paint in a dish and used a fine paint brush to touch up. So next come the clearcoat and I didn't have another brush and I wanted to do it all today so I used the pen and it looks like sh!t. I think to wet sand it with some 2000 grit to fix it what to you guys think.

By the way does anybodies else bumped feel like a cheese grater.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
its inevitable man, my bumper has tons of rock chips in it, I did get a clear bra for the hood to hopefully minimize damage there. I don't know if I would even worry about the front bumper too much, especially if your daily driver like me...

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I'm regreting not getting the clear bra. When I 1st bouth my car I just drove in the city, but lately I have been travling of the freeway for work. I think I get hit by a rock every freeking time. I have to remind myself it's just a civic.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
damb said:
Ya I'm regreting not getting the clear bra. When I 1st bouth my car I just drove in the city, but lately I have been travling of the freeway for work. I think I get hit by a rock every freeking time. I have to remind myself it's just a civic.
yes it helps ease the pain

·
Registered
317 Posts
damb said:
I think I get hit by a rock every freeking time. I have to remind myself it's just a civic.
If that's the case you should be more worried about those rocks puncturing your A/C condenser which I don't think is covered by the warranty.
There is a thread here about how to partially cover/block the condenser .

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya I know I have been pretty luck so far knock on wood. I had on rock about half an inch jammed in the H about a week a go

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
you can mix the clearcoat 50:50 with your basecoat to get a glossy touchup
prior to the app.

you can use a flattened toothpick (just tap the tip on something hard) as
your applicator. probably works better than a brush.

if you want to start your work from scratch, get some Meguiar's ScratchX
and a foam pad. your touchup is still soft and will all polish off. if you
decide to do wetsanding with 2000grit or higher, wait atleast a week
before you sand. the paint will be too soft.

·
Registered
308 Posts
kenchan said:
you can use a flattened toothpick (just tap the tip on something hard) as
your applicator. probably works better than a brush.
The toothpick works wonders for tiny nicks; capillary action pulls the paint onto the surface. However, I've found that a fine detail brush is better for chips larger than this dancing broccoli. :broccoli:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts