8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not saying im doing it or anything of the sort, im just really curious. So please dont just write " well, just buy an S200 instead itd be cheaper" "its a waste of money" etc etc. Im a curious guy, I like learning things thats all ... I was wondering, would it be possible to convert to RWD using an S200 tranny? I drive a csx, basicly the 4 door civic.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Yes it is possible; I have seen hatch back civics converted to rwd and even rwd corollas (ae86) using s2000 engines (f20c) and drive lines. If you are comfortable cutting and welding all over your chassis, machining mounts and axles and everything else you need then it is possible. There are no off the shelf parts for this kind of project so everything you need will have to be custom made from metal parts to electrical. This is really a project for a racing shop to make a name for them selves or a project for a guy with the right combination of time, money, tools and most importantly skills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,863 Posts
I doubt you could just swap the tranny because for one the motor does not sit sideways in the engine bay it sits lengthwise in an s2k, basically our motor turned 90 degrees and two, it's a different motor anyways. I don't know how interchangable our motor is with a f20/22. Point being, you'd probably have to do a motor swap and a shitload of custom work to get it to work, keep in mind you'd also need a rear end and a way to get a driveshaft from the front to the back considering we don't have a tranny tunnel like any rear wheel drive car.

Not worth it in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,380 Posts
Absolutely possible with enough time and money. You'd pretty much have to reconfigure most of the car's systems, modify the frame, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
well in twenty years when my car is all payed for and towards the end of its life ill try to do this, or get a shop to. i just dont thing it would be worth it to tear up your car now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,748 Posts
Man, you people come up with some crazy ****.

I'm going to say it. Just go buy a rear wheel drive car, mod the hell out of it and your STILL going to save money and have less problems......
 

·
Still dropping trout
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
It's possible, and there's actually a guy doing this with his em2 over @ 7thgenhonda.com

He's only doing it in his free time though so it's very rare that he updates anything, but he said that's what the next step was (since he's boosted k right now) and that's exactly what he's gonna do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You wouldnt be able to do this with the k20z engine? In a hypothetical situation, I wouldnt want to swap engines if it wasnt impossible to do otherwise. Is there a place or way to make a custom tranny that COULD hook up to the k20z maybe? Again, hypotheticaly speaking, lol.


PS: thanks for the info so far
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
441 Posts
Jandonian said:
Not saying im doing it or anything of the sort, im just really curious. So please dont just write " well, just buy an S200 instead itd be cheaper" "its a waste of money" etc etc. Im a curious guy, I like learning things thats all ... I was wondering, would it be possible to convert to RWD using an S200 tranny? I drive a csx, basicly the 4 door civic.


Thanks.
hypothetically, it'd be easier and cheaper to probably just use the rear end from an element AWD since it's a k-series anyway (the element k24 uses a different bellhousing than the Si's so it wouldn't bolt directly up w/out fabrication, which you're doing anyway). lock the diff. remove the lsd from the si's front axles and disconnect them. again, since this is hypothetical, i dont see why it wouldnt work. for the record, the k23 rear end wont bolt up. the shawd uses a ton of sensors to get its data.

did u know honda initially thought about making a rwd element? i hear the prototype drivetrain is still floating around somewhere.

EDIT: for additional info
 

·
Still dropping trout
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
r18power said:
did u know honda initially thought about making a rwd element? i hear the prototype drivetrain is still floating around somewhere.
Actually, honda has produced a 500-ish hp twin turbo element that was supposed to be used in the drift circuit this year, but I've yet to hear anything about it.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-reveals-element-d-drift-car.html



/offtopic

I would think that if you were going to try and do a rwd civic then this would be the way. It's basically the same thing that drift evo's do, only you're putting a lot more money and custom fab work into it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
441 Posts
firmhonda said:
Actually, honda has produced a 500-ish hp twin turbo element that was supposed to be used in the drift circuit this year, but I've yet to hear anything about it.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-reveals-element-d-drift-car.html



/offtopic

I would think that if you were going to try and do a rwd civic then this would be the way. It's basically the same thing that drift evo's do, only you're putting a lot more money and custom fab work into it.
they've been runnin the E-D at shakedowns. the one i was talking about was actually supposed to be for production tho. and drift evo's already have a awd. it's easier to convert an awd car to rwd than a fwd to rwd with no rwd car to base it on

hmm...i know of a guy who's suppose to be buildin a rwd 06 si coupe for a different purpose (he has the resources). he said he was gonna do a build diary on his website once he had the drivetrain working. i'll point him to this thread
 

·
Still dropping trout
Joined
·
16,213 Posts
r18power said:
they've been runnin the E-D at shakedowns. the one i was talking about was actually supposed to be for production tho. and drift evo's already have a awd. it's easier to convert an awd car to rwd than a fwd to rwd with no rwd car to base it on
Yeah, that's what I meant.. The evo's don't need extensive fab work to be made into rwd drive, you can essentially just disable the front wheels from the awd system and be done with it.

Sorry for the confusion. :wavey:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That the guy whos dropping the vette engine or something like that into his Si? Either way, send him over here.

And I like this element idea, hmm ... Hypotheticly speaking, maybe one day ... lol. Thanks for all the info so far btw.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
441 Posts
Jandonian said:
That the guy whos dropping the vette engine or something like that into his Si? Either way, send him over here.

And I like this element idea, hmm ... Hypotheticly speaking, maybe one day ... lol. Thanks for all the info so far btw.
no. it's just an si but converted to rwd. he said he has a reason for it and it has nothing to do with driftin. i dont kno what it is but it def had me curious
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
my sister has an element. i want her to do that to it. i hate it now. and i prob still wouldnt like it if she did that.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top