8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o god what a bad day.
so its been a few thousand miles since i got the header CEL off

so today its storming out and didnt have my truck (dad had it) and had to bring my girl to school on the way back i get stuck going through a puddle!!! which 10 minutes later sets off my CEL light and i cant shift above 3K!!!!
so now im freaking out its still storming so i couldnt check it yet.
started it up and it woukld rev above 3K in neutral but didnt drive it in gear
lights still on
:sadwavy:

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts
I had that issue when I didn't plug my MAF in. The car would not rev past 3000 RPM in any gear. The best thing to do is get an electronic contact cleaner to mass airflow sensor. In the mean time, you should reset the CEL by taking the negative terminal for about 15-20 minutes. Once you start the car back up, let it idle for about 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, you can use the idle learn procedure if you want to go the full blown path. It doesn't sound like a hydrolock. If it hydrolocked, your engine would be non-functional.

·
Registered
970 Posts
"If it hydrolocked, your engine would be non-functional."

Wrong. Simply wrong. You can get enough water into the combustion chamber to bend connecting rods. The engine can (with varying degrees of unhappiness) motor along and then go boom one day.

You bought a used Si with I/H/E plus Hondata. What kind of intake? Cold Air Intake?

DIAGNOSE the problem, don't work around it. If you have the proper tools necessary to pull the code and the knowledge to consider your next steps, do so now.

If you don't have the proper tools or knowledge, STOP. If you really went through a deep puddle with a CAI stop screwing around and tow it to someone who can diagnose.

You might be fine. Or you might not. The internet can't help you decide where you stand, a mechanic can.

-mr. bill

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
if your idle feels rough at all just get it somewhere..you could have a slightly bent connecting rod..thats what my buddies rsx type s had happen to it...drove through a puddle all seemed fine...a month later boom!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AEM v2
and it ran fine i didnt even really think about it untill the light came on, then i was like man that was that puddle

so i suppose ill let it sit a while and try to check the MAF, and the filter and reset the light

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I think it is a very good possibility that you have engine damage..i.e bent connecting rod..or sumthin of that nature...does the idle feel rough? i know that when you have a bent connecting rod the car can idle low and be rough

Does the car go past 3k rpms now...or not??

If it dosent get those mods off that car adn get it to a dealership!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
There is no need to be rude to the OP! He asked for help! I have deleted the rude posts and those, which replied to his/her comments...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks
sorry about being mean just blows my mind when people like that are on forums.
so idle was fine other being so cold taking a sec to heat up
car goes over 3K now im gonna check the MAF and intake/manifold
id like to plug my friends scantool in to pull the car and see what exactly it was
where would i plug it in?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sorry. I was just trying to be emphatic about pulling the code before you reset it, and it came out all wrong.

Honda calls the OBD-II port a "DLC." This has got a scantool plugged into it, but you can't miss it from there.

-mr. bill

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks alot
ill post back later with the code and tell you all how it went (and keep you all updated if i do blow the engine next time i merge on the interstate:vtec: :xyxnervou )

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also did you mean thats where i plug it on at?

"This has got a scantool plugged into it, but you can't miss it from there"
i thought i was going to plug his scantool into that?

·
Registered
970 Posts
The "cable" is plugged into the port, but can't see the port in the picture.
You'll be plugging your tool into the same place.

The "DLC" arrow and "cable" arrows are pointing right at the connector.

Just look near your right knee, you'll find it. (Well, not now. When you are sitting in the car.)

-mr. bill

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
silkyPimP said:
hmm wheres the walkthrough on cleaning the MAF sensor
I don't believe there is one...I searched with no luck. I believe you just pull it out and spray it with the electronics cleaner stuff. You might PM Yodums as he's done it before.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
grrrr keeps telling me link error
i feel like such a nub
any ideas im doing everything right it was supposed to fit the si
its a OBD2 scanner

·
Registered
970 Posts
Depends on the tool.
But plug it in. Some of them will beep beep or blink blink.
Turn the key to ON (II) *not* START (III) within a couple of seconds.
Then step through the codes.

(No shame in bringing it in for a compression test btw. Could be $100 well spent.)

-mr. bill

1 - 20 of 27 Posts