8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I hit a small lake today and hydro locked my engine. pulled the plugs and #4 was halfway filled with water. sucked it out and got the engine running again, but sounds like poop and very rough. I have an Injen CAI with a hydro-shield but my engine still sucked up a lot of water. I think a rod is bent. Had it towed to the dealer and they said they will probably replace the short block too.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
Yeah, im almost certain that at least one (#4) of your conecting rods is bent.. I have the same setup w/ hydro shield, but I do NOT drive my car in the Rain.

Were on hard on the throttle when this happend? How deep was the water? I guess I have been lucky... El Paso floods like a mother.

·
Banned
107 Posts
clear it of corrosion. youl be happy to know that your motor will be very rusted with in 2 days.. ***VERY*** meaning rusting starts from day 1..

but if you bent a rod.. you could just replace the rod your self... it will be a mess cheaper, (if u have tools)

but if its under warrenty just be smart and take it to them!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This would not be a warranty issue. You could drive a brand new car off the lot and do this same thing and it is not considered honda's fault. It is an insurance claim. So the most I'll be out is $500. Water was 8 in. deep, 40 mph, braking, no throttle. As for the Diesel guy, if diesel can un-bend a connecting rod than its worth more than $3.70 per gallon. Dealer said they would probably replace the whole block.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
This would not be a warranty issue. You could drive a brand new car off the lot and do this same thing and it is not considered honda's fault. It is an insurance claim. So the most I'll be out is $500. Water was 8 in. deep, 40 mph, braking, no throttle. As for the Diesel guy, if diesel can un-bend a connecting rod than its worth more than $3.70 per gallon. Dealer said they would probably replace the whole block.
brand new cars wont hydrolock in normal driving conditions... if it floods, sure it's gonna hydrolock if the water level is up the car's ass (not figuretively) as for the only costing $500, that's good to hear! although, i would still recommend a sri instead of a cai... what's 3 or 4 more hp when there's a much greater chance of hydrolock...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
fill it up with diesel fuel.. then crack it over by hand, (meaning dont let it fire disconnect ur fuel lines
how will it do any good to fill the tank with diesel if you are going to disconnect the fuel lines?

might as well do the "pour manual tranny fluid in each spark plug hole and then cycle the motor on the starter" routine. at least you will get something into the motor that will actually do its job.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
a bit off topic, but how much water do u need to drive over to hydrolock it? just wondering b/c when it rains in florida, esp. over the summer, it RAINS like a mofo. and lets face it, there are times when we HAVE to drive even if its raining and i just wanna know what is okay.

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
Well, another hydrolock...

I love how all the CAI makers say that this can't happen...*rolls-eyes*

anyway, I doubt your warranty will cover this---there's really no reason it should (not being rude, just stating the facts).

You may (as others have stated) have an insurance claim though...

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
a bit off topic, but how much water do u need to drive over to hydrolock it? just wondering b/c when it rains in florida, esp. over the summer, it RAINS like a mofo. and lets face it, there are times when we HAVE to drive even if its raining and i just wanna know what is okay.
Hard to say. It depends on many factors: throttle position, speed, physics, etc.

I would suggest not driving your car in the rain at all with a CAI...hell, better yet, don't use a CAI...

You only need a very small amount of water to f your engine...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.