8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from somebody that the federal tax writeoff for 2006 is going to be $2600 for the Civic Hybrid. Does anyone know if that's correct? If so... wow.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
mesaba said:
I heard from somebody that the federal tax writeoff for 2006 is going to be $2600 for the Civic Hybrid. Does anyone know if that's correct? If so... wow.
Not sure but this was in an LA Times article:

"The combined fuel economy of the non-hybrid is 35 mpg; the hybrid, 50 mpg, a theoretical difference of 15 mpg. In five years of average driving (15,000 miles per year), I would save 643 gallons, or $1,929 (assuming a gas price of $3 per gallon), with the hybrid. Combined with the current tax deduction (a savings of $580 in my tax bracket) I recoup 90% of the hybrid premium in five years. If I were to buy the Honda Civic hybrid in January 2006, the numbers look even better. The federal tax deduction becomes a credit worth $2,100. Combined with my fuel savings I actually come out about $1,200 ahead."

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil12oct12,0,917822.story?coll=la-home-highway1

But I would think you may get more out of it than the $1200.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My real main concern about a hybrid is breaking down 150 miles from a Honda dealer. How many small town garages are going to have a clue where to even start on that engine?

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
mesaba said:
My real main concern about a hybrid is breaking down 150 miles from a Honda dealer. How many small town garages are going to have a clue where to even start on that engine?

Actually the engine is very basic on that car... I mean it's only an 8 valve engine, far simpler mechanically than any of the other civic's you can buy right now. The electric motors are pretty reilable, they've been around for decades. The only real problem is if something in the ECU screws up, but Honda has good track record for electrical stuff, so I'm not to worried about that.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Jrfish007 said:
The only real problem is if something in the ECU screws up, but Honda has good track record for electrical stuff, so I'm not to worried about that.
Except their Legends....which I can personally attest to :p

·
Registered
187 Posts
skittles,

in a nutshell what was bad about the legends?

·
Registered
8 Posts
the federal tax credit for 2006 has yet to be determined. all of the numbers i've seen thus far have been solely estimation on various organizations. the organization that has the final say is the IRS. and when you hear that only the first 60,000 vehicles of a company qualify, that's not exactly true. don't panic. more accurately, it's once 60,000 vehicles are sold, the full credit ends that quarter, and the credit decreases in stages in the next two quarters. basically, this is a tax credit geared toward assisting ford and GM more than honda and toyota.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
r3dlin3 said:
skittles,

in a nutshell what was bad about the legends?
In a nutshell......

Hondata told us Legend enthusiasts they would NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER tune our ECU's :(. It was truly a sad day for all Legend enthusiasts. The reason is because it's so overly complex, it's insane. I know people that have been working on cracking them since 95 and have yet to get all the way through.

But it's not just limited to the ECU. The entire electronic system is overly complex, when compared to my old Civic. Granted the car was $40K brand new 10 years ago, but still, even $200K cars can be tuned...

Again, very :(

·
STIG: a tamed race driver
1,630 Posts
Interesting... but the ECU it's self left in the stock form is okay, or at least my friends has been, I think his is a '92.

·
Registered
143 Posts
For some reason a lot of people dont get this, although thus far on here people seem to be able to see it for what it is.... but it's a tax credit, not a rebate.

For some odd reason, I run into quite a bit of people that think it's like a rebate, that they are gunna get an additional $2100 on their govt check at the end of the year, and dont seem to understand that it is just a deduction to their taxable income, which is just gunna net them a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our CPA told us the 2006 cars bought in 2005 would fall under the tax "deduction" if bought Jan 1 2006 would fall under the tax "credit" which is supposed to be 2k+

1 - 11 of 11 Posts