8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK< Hybrid owners, what panels do you have that regular civics dont?
I read about a under belly panel front and rear, can someone post a few pics ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
you can find pictures on the honda site - 360degrees ones - rotate down and compare the hybrid and the other civics

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Plastic panel across the underbody. Has access ports to filters and such.

Basically its a little added measure to decrease drag. Helps protect the underside from rocks and things as well.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow thats crazy, thanks for the tip, ill check out honda.ca right now
anyone know the price of the underpanals?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
How come the other models don't come with these? I don't see any downsides to it. Why wouldn't these be on the other civics to up the MPG rating?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Be careful buying these underbody panels. The normal Civics don't typically have the mounting locations for them, so do your investigating first before paying the money for something you can't use. As far as the long panels under the car itself, one actually serves to cover the wires on the hybrid. If you've got a regular Civic, you have all the covers but 3 (the one I'd most like to have is the one under the engine compartment)...but, if you've got an LX, you're also missing the rear strakes just forward of the rear wheel wells. There is also no hole there to install them, as far as I could tell.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've installed all three on my LX ( coupe)and they perfectly fit.
Keeps the engine compartment sparkling clean esp. in winter. The only thing is that the exaust pipe from the cat will burn a small hole in its lowest point as it touches the plastic (the exaust routing in the hybrid is completely different.
Also the long cover under the driver side protects all the fuel lines and brake lines from rock hit, dirt etc.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Agnt004 said:
How come the other models don't come with these? I don't see any downsides to it. Why wouldn't these be on the other civics to up the MPG rating?
If honda made normal cars any more gas friendly who would buy a hybrid :laughing:

·
Registered
503 Posts
dude said:
I've installed all three on my LX ( coupe)and they perfectly fit.
Keeps the engine compartment sparkling clean esp. in winter. The only thing is that the exaust pipe from the cat will burn a small hole in its lowest point as it touches the plastic (the exaust routing in the hybrid is completely different.
Also the long cover under the driver side protects all the fuel lines and brake lines from rock hit, dirt etc.
Really? I looked under mind and didn't see some mounting holes, just like for the strakes. Thats good info! Disregard my previous post then! Sweet!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
GoHuskies said:
If honda made normal cars any more gas friendly who would buy a hybrid :laughing:
I would agree with that but I have been driving with the panels for over a year now and i haven't really seen any increase in mpg. They are really nice though for protecting the underneath of the engine and the gas lines.
The only negative feature I see is when you do oil change - to undo all those clips, drop the panel, then reattach it again (after you drive the car for a awile to see if therare any leaks). thats why ussualy dealers charge more for Hybrid oil change (one more reason not to buy Hybrid:eek:hnoes: )

·
Registered
304 Posts
dude said:
...thats why ussualy dealers charge more for Hybrid oil change (one more reason not to buy Hybrid:eek:hnoes: )
0W20 is not stored in bulk like your 10W30 that the dealer puts in your car. Please research before you post a comment as dumb as that one.:thumb:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can you post the labor time on oil change for Civic and Hybrid?
It is true that Honda list on 0W20 is $6.22(for comparison Mobil one 0W20 is ~$5) but last time I checked the stores 0W20 and 5W20 have the same price.
Also can you tell me how many Honda dealers use Honda motor oil?
Now it's time for you to do some research.

·
Registered
304 Posts
dude said:
Can you post the labor time on oil change for Civic and Hybrid?
It is true that Honda list on 0W20 is $6.22(for comparison Mobil one 0W20 is ~$5) but last time I checked the stores 0W20 and 5W20 have the same price.
Also can you tell me how many Honda dealers use Honda motor oil?
Now it's time for you to do some research.
If you register your car on Hondas "ownerlink" you will get coupons all the time for servicing. A regular oil change is $24.95 and the Hybrids are $10.00 more. A lot of Honda dealers "sell" Honda oil by the quart, but for a regular oil change, you are getting "bulk" oil. They are there to make money.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
your other option is to watch for stores that are removing Mobil 0W20. Walmart had them for 3.00 a quart so I picked up a cart full!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Also some walmarts still have the big jug (5qt) for 19.98
The point is changing oil by removing the plastic panel sucks and it involves more labor. I wouldn't let someone else do it since if you are not careful and forget in the hurry to put one or two clips the whole plastic thing may come undone when you are on the highway - even though the damage wont be big it wont be pretty either. Happened to a friend with a 05 HCH.
Anyway for all who plan to install the panels note that you will need to change 4 of the existing plastic clips with a longer ones:91506-S9A-003 Honda Clip B, bumper

1 - 16 of 16 Posts