8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An in-depth review on the Hybrid racing shift assembly and shifter cable bushings. I am not associated with Hybrid Racing in any way.

The test car is a 2007 si sedan with 98,xxxmiles on the clock. mtf was replaced approx 200 miles before the shifter was installed. My transmission historically has a notchy 3rd, and going 1st to 2nd at high rpm often grinds.

First let's talk about the shift bushings. These were installed a few weeks before the shifter was, and it was hoped to reduce a bit of slop out of the lever. it did not change mutch there, a little more stiff maybe, but the real change was a more positive shift and less misses. That is the true shine of the bushings, with the solid metal vs oem soft rubber, there is less energy lost during the shift, in turn the lever can be thrown around much less intentionally with better results.

On to the main modification, the Shift Assembly. This is an absolute MUST HAVE for any performance Honda! Yes it's expensive, but it has immense form and function, which adds a tremendous amount of value personally. So what does this shifter add in terms of performance? well a few things, when you first drive it, the throw is obviously a lot shorter, but we are going to dive deeper into that in a little bit. The next major improvement the shifter makes is the masking of notchieness. It used to be that every few shifts, third gear would be very notchy. Since installing the HR shifter, I have felt only a very mild example about twice in the past 300miles. Similarly with 2nd gear grind, the shifter reduces the occurrence, however only by a small margin, as this issue tends to be a bad synchro or more often than not, a bad clutch master cylinder. The shifts both with daily driving, and with quick shifting/racing are both increased immensly.

Next, the form. This thing is GORGEOUS. the shifter itself is made of almost entirely billet aluminum, and the bracket is made of stainless steel. The bracket welds on the steel were slightly disappointing, with a little bit of splatter. But the welds were hand welded, and seem very strong, so overall not really worth complaining about.

This shifter reduces slop in three different ways. The bracket does not require base bushings, so that eliminates that play from the stock rubbers. Second, the bearings in this shifter are super precise, and there is absolutely zero play in the shifter assembly itself. Third, the play in the gear selector in the transmission is redued in direct relation to the reduction in lever throw distance. While there will always be a little slop/wobble, this assembly reduces it as much as possible, and makes the shifter feels extremely solid even with a little of the irremovable wobble.

CONS: there are a few, however all but one is just a downside of all short shifters, and are most likely why they don't come factory in all manual cars.
First, the learning curve: you are going to miss a bunch of gears in your first couple hours driving. This is due to the increased resistance from having a shorter throw, however the shifter still immediately feels amazing in action: short, crisp, SOLID, and precise shifts every time.
The next con is that for a new manual driver, it is a bit harder to know what gear you are going into. I let someone drive this car who had not driven manual in 15 years, and they had a decent amount of trouble feeling what gear they were in. But to an experienced manual driver, this is a compete non issue and is actually a really good feeling setup.
This is the only actual complaint with this shifter. As you shorten the throw or height (as it is fully adjustable), the shifts become more gross feeling. Thet feel clanky, sloppy and incomplete, with more popouts and grinds. Where this shifter feels it's best is at the more conservative setting, at about 30% shorter throw vs stock. I assume that having the stiffer hr shifter cables would mostly remedy this issue however, though I cannot confirm.

I have focused largely on the "cons" (there is really only one) but just because this shifter is amazing, and that's what everyone says, so I'm trying to give as much new and useful information as possible. Overall, this is a fantastic upgrade/modification, and I 100% recommend it to anyone for any application, be it a daily driver, or full track car.

·
Registered
177 Posts
With the sale they are doing right now I am very tempted to get one. I have only really heard good things about it. The bushings in my stock shifter are really starting to wear out. This will likely become a track car in a few years so might as well do it now :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
OP great review !
I have a silly question. On a short shifter can you feel when you grind/crunch? As you know on a stock shifter when you grind, you feel it and maybe you try to correct it on your next shift.. Wonder if that feeling is filter out by the way the HR shifter is. Note, I have never own a short shifter before. Also, I read a comment online that a Short Shifter increases your chances to damage the trany but not sure is that is legit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP great review !
I have a silly question. On a short shifter can you feel when you grind/crunch? As you know on a stock shifter when you grind, you feel it and maybe you try to correct it on your next shift.. Wonder if that feeling is filter out by the way the HR shifter is. Note, I have never own a short shifter before. Also, I read a comment online that a Short Shifter increases your chances to damage the trany but not sure is that is legit.
good questions. what the short shifter does is increases your leverage, so yes it will be harder on the trans and you are more likely to damage something. grinding and crunching is filtered out quite a bit, but not completely. I learned to quick shift only after getting this assembly and I would crunch into the next gear sometime, and you barely can tell your doing it. but yes you still feel and know what your doing, and can correct it

·
Registered
146 Posts
good questions. what the short shifter does is increases your leverage, so yes it will be harder on the trans and you are more likely to damage something. grinding and crunching is filtered out quite a bit, but not completely. I learned to quick shift only after getting this assembly and I would crunch into the next gear sometime, and you barely can tell your doing it. but yes you still feel and know what your doing, and can correct it
thats nice. well thanks for the answer .. and congrats on your new shifter !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts