8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second post. Been lurking for some time. I appreciate all of the info posted by SI owners. Am seriously considering an SI when my lease runs out.

Was reading an article in August Motor Trend on the 1965 honda s600. Parts of the story caught my eye as they seem relative to some of the issues I've been reading about on this forum. "This low-friction engine doesn't rev down quickly, and hurrying the shifter can overwhelm the synchros"!!!!!

There are some other points of interest in the story including some history on Soichiro Honda and the early days of Honda.

I accessed the article on motortrend.com by entering 1965 honda s600 in the search box.

Hope you find this article as interesting as I did.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I read that at the grocery store a few weeks back. After changing to synchromesh MTF, I find that I can still overwhelm the 1st gear synchros by downshifting into 1st at anything over around 10mph. My Integra was a bit more compliant.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
i heard it's always bad to downshift into first unless you're stopped. if you're moving, you should go right into 2nd

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Yodums said:
You'll feel the lock out in first if you try to downshift to it at a rather fast speed. You'll need to rev match. :)
do you mean double clutch? I thought rev matching only matched the engine revs

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't have any problem getting into 1st even if I'm going about 15. I'm of course doing the heel/toe rev match. I only do this when going around a sharp corner and I want to exit really fast.

Can't say I'm sold on double clutching. What the heck are the syncros for if that is necessary? Besides I find that it takes too much time. Heck, on all my other sticks I never even rev matched when down shifting and didn't have any tranny issues (took 2 cars to 100k+). I only rev match now because it makes for a smoother shift.

Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
tommyroo said:
What the heck are the syncros for if that is necessary?
Synchros do the work of matching revs of gears to the shaft, essentially a clutch for the gears. Like a clutch, there is friction and wear involved in their operation and with double clutching, you do the work of rev matching the gears to the shaft, saving the synchros.

·
Registered
630 Posts
dnbsi said:
just out of curiosity, how much does it cost if you have to replace your synchros?

you can;t replace just synchros. You need to buy a 2-3 gear set. Its about $300, it's the labor that kills, basically add 1 or 2 hours to a clutch replacement.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
sf-si-02 said:
you can;t replace just synchros. You need to buy a 2-3 gear set. Its about $300, it's the labor that kills, basically add 1 or 2 hours to a clutch replacement.
Is it really 2-3 gear set? I thought it would be more like a 1-2 gear set? 2-3 would be great, kill two birds with one stone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts