8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into accident awhile ago and ever since I have had humming noises coming from the rear. It sounds like a helicopter. I checked the wheel bearing and even had a mechanic check and it has no play. Also, I got my wheel fixed (it had a small bend) and rebalanced and that didn't help. New tires didn't help. The only thing that helped it (but didn't fix it) was when I got adjustable control arms and had lots of negative camber. Any ideas?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Are your current wheels aftermarket? Are they the right hub size, or otherwise have hub-centric rings on them? I had a really sneaky, slow-building issue when I got my aftermarket wheels but I didn't elect to get hub-centric rings as I didn't think they were necessary. Overtime my tires wore down unevenly since the wheels weren't properly centering on the hub, which developed into a hum and vibration at highway speeds. This might not be what you are describing, but it's what came to mind in my case.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are your current wheels aftermarket? Are they the right hub size, or otherwise have hub-centric rings on them? I had a really sneaky, slow-building issue when I got my aftermarket wheels but I didn't elect to get hub-centric rings as I didn't think they were necessary. Overtime my tires wore down unevenly since the wheels weren't properly centering on the hub, which developed into a hum and vibration at highway speeds. This might not be what you are describing, but it's what came to mind in my case.
Yes it is the OEM wheel

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've replaced several wheel hubs that were noisy. You couldn't tell they were bad by moving them but once they were replaced the noise level dropped significantly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had one wheel bearing where there was a chip in the inner race. That will cause noise, but not show movement.
I spun the wheel with the car lifted and there is no noise. Do you think it is the wheel bearing regardless? I'm tired of throwing money at it for solutions that don't work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts