8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving on the freeway last night around 12:30 am, and all of a sudden I hear a LOUD CRACK, followed by a succession of 3-4 slightly quieter cracks, all within a span of one second. When I got home, I did a quick inspection of my front bumper and didn't see anything, so I thought it was fine. However, today when I was about to get into my car, I looked down and noticed this HUGE CRATER on the side of my door. There are also a couple of smaller scratches on the surface of my moonroof. They're very fine, but they show because the whiteness of the scratches stand out from the tint.

I showed it to my dad and friend, and they suggested that it might be from a BB pellet. Keep in mind that I was not close to any cars. There were no cars next to me, and I was about a half a mile behind the car in front of me. I was also only going 64 mph exactly. I'm not sure about their theory though. Why would someone shoot me from the other side of the freeway? I did notice some debris on the freeway before all the cracks, but however, it still is weird that the side of my car got impacted, while my front was undamaged.

Anyone have any opinions or theories on what might have happened? And any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. :sadwavy:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
looks like it was shot with a BB to me. Someone was drunk with a BB gun and you were the target

That sucks. hopefully you can get it fixed for cheep

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damnit! But I was pretty far away from the other side of the freeway, and then there's the center divider too... and at 65 mph!? :mad:

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Do you park your car outside? Maybe that actual crater was made after you were on the freeway?

Its hard to hit a moving car at 65mph even with a real rifle, im guessing the neighbor bastards got your car

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Skylinegtr06 said:
Do you park your car outside? Maybe that actual crater was made after you were on the freeway?

Its hard to hit a moving car at 65mph even with a real rifle, im guessing the neighbor bastards got your car
It's really not that hard. Anyone who knows their timing and has good marksmanship can shoot something that big moving at 65 mph.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skylinegtr06 said:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I heard a loud, definite crack when I was driving. My ears detected that it was definitely on the drivers side of the car. I'm pretty sure I get along with all my neighbors... I think :xyxnervou

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Definitely looks like a bullet-like-hole to me. The impact of the shot is pretty uniform. No normal rock could have pushed it in so deep unless it came out of the end of a lawn mower.

Maybe you forgot to tip that waiter last night? Might want to confer with the folks in the "Ask a Waiter" thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
jasonandre said:
Definitely looks like a bullet-like-hole to me. The impact of the shot is pretty uniform. No normal rock could have pushed it in so deep unless it came out of the end of a lawn mower.
i fill your pain on this heres a pic of what a rock dent looks like, dad was mowing and did this

albasta silver cost 50.00 a Qt and lucky i got a good body friend did my work.
my vote is a BB shot no doubt.:eek:hnoes: let me know how much it cost to fix it

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
my uncle has a BB gun that shoots .22s at 1400 feet per second with 9 pumps. Its old though, i think he said from the late 60s

·
Registered
293 Posts
TafEx said:
So I was driving on the freeway last night around 12:30 am, and all of a sudden I hear a LOUD CRACK, followed by a succession of 3-4 slightly quieter cracks, all within a span of one second.
sounds like a Meteor shower

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Skylinegtr06 said:

i hope you dont know this first hand..

back on topic .. thankfully it was only a bb gun or rock.. anyway be careful when driving around there from now on!

also you should probabbly report to the local authoritys:lildevil:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay... I took the car to 3 different bodyshops and here are the estimates. Each bodyshop says they're gonna do pretty much the same thing except for a few "minor" differences. Brace yourself now.

$715: Needs to take off side mirror
$541: NO need to take off side mirror
$818: Needs to take off side mirror AND do the rear door (outer panel, belt w'strip, molding, handle, trim panel)

:eek:mg:

What should I do?? My insurance is only $500 deductible. Should I just go for the $541 one and pay for it myself?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts