8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
high performance tires, who cares? first of all if you even plan to get custom rims then hpt are a waste of money. and you know since its coming from honda directly they are going to over charge the **** out of it. and during the first couple thousand miles if you value your new civic you wouldn't what to rev the hell out of it intill your engine and drive train has been "broken in." and do you really plan on driving a civic in the summer only. this isn't an NSX were talking about.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for coming today, that was very informative and fact-based. I'm going to write to each of the tire companies and tell them they are wasting their time producing high-performance tires with this new found research, and to shift production into erasers and doorstops.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The summer tire option on the Acura TL is $200 so I can't see it being any higher than that on the Civic. To me, at $200, it is worth it, because if I purchased a new set of tires and sold the A/S tires that came on the car I would be out of pocket that much money anyway (figure in depreciation on the tires + getting the new tires mounted/balanced, etc). And yes, I do intend to drive my car year with summer tires on year round, because I live in the south where we have snow once a year (sometimes not at all).

·
Registered
82 Posts
jbbrann said:
The summer tire option on the Acura TL is $200 so I can't see it being any higher than that on the Civic. To me, at $200, it is worth it, because if I purchased a new set of tires and sold the A/S tires that came on the car I would be out of pocket that much money anyway (figure in depreciation on the tires + getting the new tires mounted/balanced, etc). And yes, I do intend to drive my car year with summer tires on year round, because I live in the south where we have snow once a year (sometimes not at all).
Correct, but by fugen's opinion, at least this is how I interpreted it, he thinks that high performance tires are useless for a Civic, simply because it's a Civic.
Let me ask you this, fugen; if you're caught in a torrential downpour, or have to make an evasive lane change because something darts out on the road, or a car cuts you off, whatever - does it matter what kind of car you drive? You would want to have the best performing rubber underneath you for what you can afford, would you not?
By your opinion, it's pointless for me to have high performance all-season tires (Potenza RE950) because I drive a Civic (Acura EL).
Your opinion may be right in your mind, but it simply does not add up when you factor in these things.
Some people view safety (tire quality) as priceless, others think it's a waste of money (you, perhaps).

·
Registered
321 Posts
I got into an accident in my RSX-S because I had my all seasons on. This happened while I was getting my rims powdercoated and my summer tires put on them.

It was a road I've taken every day on my way to work. All-seasons simply sucked. There was no trace of snow or ice on the road. I was taking a turn that I've taken hundreds of times and the all-seasons gave out.

There are many people who believe that all-seasons are a compromise. They are. They do not offer the best performance on dry, wet or ice/snow in any way. I'd rather have a set of summer and winter tires.

fugen, even with the LSD on the Si, I'm sure that you'd notice a lack of grip with all-seasons. You shouldn't be looking at an Si if you won't see yourself pushing your car enough to warrant summer tires.

Also, the summers will come on 17's. That in my opinion is the best mix between looks and handling. My nicer rims are 17s so the summers will fit on. I see no problem with having aftermarket rims.

About not driving a Civic in winter, I know of plenty of non-winter driven RSX-S's. There are things called winter beaters. The Civic is in the same performance category as the RSX-S so why not? And as others have said, not everyone is subject to the same winter conditions.

·
Registered
126 Posts
fugen said:
and do you really plan on driving a civic in the summer only. this isn't an NSX were talking about.

At first I will only be driving my civic during the summer/fall seasons. I have a old car to roll in the winters. Minnesota winters can be rough on your car.

I dont know anything about high performance tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just dont want to keep the stock rims so i wouldnt want to pay extra for tires. even with the hfp 18's are too big for me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
For me If I'm buying a sports car I want performance tires. I wont cheap out on tires since its the part of the car that makes the final contact with the road. I would also buy a set of steelies and good winter tires for the winter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Scourge said:
I got into an accident in my RSX-S because I had my all seasons on. This happened while I was getting my rims powdercoated and my summer tires put on them.

It was a road I've taken every day on my way to work. All-seasons simply sucked. There was no trace of snow or ice on the road. I was taking a turn that I've taken hundreds of times and the all-seasons gave out.

There are many people who believe that all-seasons are a compromise. They are. They do not offer the best performance on dry, wet or ice/snow in any way. I'd rather have a set of summer and winter tires.
This is also untrue, and you only have one bad experience as evidence. In many cases, high-performance all-seaons can rival summer tires for performance in the dry, and even exceed that of summer tires in the wet and difficult conditions.
Is this true for every all-season, certainly not, but don't lump every single all-season tire into one category, that would be like lumping every summer tire into one category.
I have Bridgestone Potenza RE-950 tires on my car, and the tire rack rates them as having the performance of some summer tires.
In your case, the tires you had on were probably OEM spec all-seasons, in which case, no, they do not have the same performance in the dry as summer tires, or even in the wet.
But when you buy a good quality all-season (like the Potenza RE-950) you will be amazed at what they can do for an all-season tire.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Majarvis said:
This is also untrue, and you only have one bad experience as evidence. In many cases, high-performance all-seaons can rival summer tires for performance in the dry, and even exceed that of summer tires in the wet and difficult conditions.
Is this true for every all-season, certainly not, but don't lump every single all-season tire into one category, that would be like lumping every summer tire into one category.
I have Bridgestone Potenza RE-950 tires on my car, and the tire rack rates them as having the performance of some summer tires.
In your case, the tires you had on were probably OEM spec all-seasons, in which case, no, they do not have the same performance in the dry as summer tires, or even in the wet.
But when you buy a good quality all-season (like the Potenza RE-950) you will be amazed at what they can do for an all-season tire.
Interesting. I just had the same tires put on my Legend the other day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
here's an interesting little fact i learned from a family friend who worked for Good Year in luxembourg, europe. he told me that the factory issued tires are speced for the car they issue them for. for example, if you had a car come with S-03s, buying aftermarket S-03s most likely decrease performance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
wheelconnector said:
here's an interesting little fact i learned from a family friend who worked for Good Year in luxembourg, europe. he told me that the factory issued tires are speced for the car they issue them for. for example, if you had a car come with S-03s, buying aftermarket S-03s most likely decrease performance.
That's not true at all, whoever told you that doesn't know the entire truth.
There are only one variety of a tire, albeit S-03's, RE-950's, or whatever, they are not tailored to each vehicle (however some tires are infact originally designed for a specific car, like the Potenza RE050 Scuderia which was designed specifically for the Ferrari Enzo.)
For example, I believe the Potenza S-02's were originally designed for the Honda S2000, however they are also on the general market for other cars as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
believe what you will, but that's what the guy told me, and i trust him, since he actually works for good year. and he's not just some low-ranking tech guy there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
wheelconnector said:
believe what you will, but that's what the guy told me, and i trust him, since he actually works for good year. and he's not just some low-ranking tech guy there.
I'm not calling you or him a liar, but it sounds to me like he has his info a little twisted. True, there are some tires that are tailored to certain cars (like I stated above) and that buying off the shelf S-02's for example on an S2000 will certainly give you different performance characteristics, but as an example, if you buy a Civic that comes with the superb, mind-blowing performing Michelin MX4's, buying a new set (I know, stop laughing) would give you the exact same, understeering, tire shredding performance they come with from the factory (sorry, I just really hate those tires) lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Majarvis said:
I'm not calling you or him a liar, but it sounds to me like he has his info a little twisted. True, there are some tires that are tailored to certain cars (like I stated above) and that buying off the shelf S-02's for example on an S2000 will certainly give you different performance characteristics, but as an example, if you buy a Civic that comes with the superb, mind-blowing performing Michelin MX4's, buying a new set (I know, stop laughing) would give you the exact same, understeering, tire shredding performance they come with from the factory (sorry, I just really hate those tires) lol.
yeah that seems more plausible. wasn't trying to argue or anything, was just stating what i had learned. :)
michelin MX4's FTW. ahahaha.

·
Registered
82 Posts
wheelconnector said:
yeah that seems more plausible. wasn't trying to argue or anything, was just stating what i had learned. :)
michelin MX4's FTW. ahahaha.
No problem, always nice to have a little discussion :)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
How many si's haven't come with summer tires? When I went to put a deposit, 2 dealers were braggin that all their si come with the summer tires... Has anyone had all season on the si? How is the traction?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts