8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HPS Silicon Intake Hose *Stock Dyno's Added 12/14/09*

HPS is now making silicon intake hoses to replace the existing OEM intake tube. The tube is made from high temp, multi-ply silicon intake hosing, which should improve airflow and keep air inlet temperatures cooler. We will be dyno testing later and measuring air intake temps as well.

Differences I noticed

Throttle response seems better

RPM down low doesn't bog as much

Smoother powerband from idle to redline

Looking to get on the dyno after Long Beach Grand Prix.

Here it is

Here it is installed

This is my Stock 08 Si vs DCRH without CAT

Here is the stock intake, DCRH vs the HPS Sil tube, DCRH

Comparison

Stock 08 Si Stock intake, header vs HPS intake tube, DCRH

So there was a significant increase from the removal of the stock header and cat which is to be expected. However after that, the intake becomes the choke point. We didn't expect to see that great of an increase of with just the HPS sil intake, but apparently it was able to free the airflow up. With the diameter of the intake being larger on the MAF side and restricting down to the tb, we are not only able to increase the air volume, but also increase the air velocity running into the intake manifold. Another factor is probably the intake itself able to keep the intake temperature pretty steady, we tried to do pulls as consistently as possible monitoring intake temps and engine temps. I think the combination of these factors makes for the significant increase in performance.

However if you are just running a stock header, cat and adding the HPS sil intake, please do not expect to have such significant gains. This gain is only due to the fact that both the HPS sil intake and a DCRH was added. As you can see the power curves of the OEM and HPS sil intake are almost identical, but the HPS sil intake will provide more power output mid range and high range rpm.

**UPDATE**

Thanks for the help from the 09 Civic Si Coupe Owner Jonathan, HPS was able to complete a baseline dyno on a stock 09 civic si coupe (with no performance mod) against the HPS silicone air intake tube being installed.

The result is pretty consistent with what they expected before the baseline dyno. Basically the overall gain is not as dramatic as the other aftermarket air intakes, but the HPS silicone air intake tube does shift the whole power band upwards yet still maintaining a safe air/fuel ratio. You would see the gains from everywhere throughout the horsepower and torque curve.

2009 Honda Civic Si dyno in the HPS in-house Dynapack 4000

Dyno Chart - Baseline vs HPS Silicone

Air/Fuel Ratio

Torque shown - Baseline vs HPS Silicone Air Intake

Dyno Movie Clips Coming Soon!

If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask. I will answer as best I can.

I asked HPS for group buy pricing on this and they told me they will get back to me

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are still in the prototype testing phase for the SI. I will keep this thread up to date and let you guys know once it is available.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i was jsut on there site.....i would guess right around $160. i hope its cheaper than that but cant wait to see the numbers!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i was jsut on there site.....i would guess right around $160. i hope its cheaper than that but cant wait to see the numbers!
i dont see any prices on their site..you just make that # up???

why dont we stop the speculation and wait for an answer...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
i wonder how much smoother the air will flow, since it doesnt have any ribs like the oem arms. This looks like a great alternative to the crv tube

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
i wonder how much smoother the air will flow, since it doesnt have any ribs like the oem arms. This looks like a great alternative to the crv tube
I have the cr-v tube and i like but the only issue i have with it is it tend's to give you a bit of a funky idle.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good,will they come in other colors and about how much ?
I would assume that HPS would offer them in blue and red as well.

I have the cr-v tube and i like but the only issue i have with it is it tend's to give you a bit of a funky idle.
Road tested today, and no funky idle here. We are going to arrange dyno date to test air inlet temps and any power gains.

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
awesome i had a samco tube on my 1.8t, if this product is anything like that should be pretty nice. looking forward to price and dyno

1 - 20 of 544 Posts