8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a professional car audio/video/alarm etc...installer and I work with XM/Sirius units all day long. I've seen a lot of people on here trying to install/hide their power wire from their XM/Sirius units because they do not want to plug them into the 12V adapter.

Here is how I professionally install/hide the power cables on these units all day long @ work.

FIRST!!!
Look on your XM/Sirius unit...what voltage is the unit rated at? 5.5V? 12V?

Here are your options without using a stupid/cheap female power outlet, or just plugging it into the factory outlet.

If your XM/Sirius unit is rated @ 12V then you can simply cut the cig adapter plug off of your XM/Sirius power wire(I BELIEVE MOST SIRIUS UNITS ARE RATED @ 12V, BUT CHECK ON THE UNIT ANYWAY!)...the wire with the white stripes is your power wire, and the plain black wire is your ground wire. Simply strip back each wire and connect them to switched/accessory power, and ground.

IF your unit is rated @ 5.5V or anything besides 12V here is what you have to do:

1. Take apart the cig lighter adapter, remove the fuse, and pull out the circuit board of the adapter.

2. Take a long piece of red wire and a piece of black wire and strip back the ends (Red will be for accessory/switched power, and black will be your ground wire)

3. Look on the circuit board and look at all of the solder joints and there should be 2 that are connect to a red wire on the board, this is your accessory power, so solder the end of your red wire to the original solder of the circuit board being careful not to ruin the board.

4. There will be another large solder joint near the tip of the circuit board, and this is your ground joint, solder your black wire to this joint.

5. Tear out the plastic pieces inside the neck of the cig lighter adapter so you can run your wires out of the adapter.

6. Put the adapter back together, and you should have your power/ground wires running out of the adapter.

7. Attach the Red wire to accessory/switched power (Using a multimeter, this wire will read 12V when the car is in the accessory position, but not when it is off)

8. Attach the black wire to a factory ground, or crimp on a ring terminal and drill this wire into a piece of metal.

If this is done correctly, you have now hidden your adapter behind the dash without ever having to plug it in again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem man, glad it could be of use to someone.

Another alternative to this is just using a 12V plug adapter that you can buy @ most electronics stores. It allows you to plug in your adapter, and then it has an accessory wire and a ground coming off of it, if you use this route however be sure to tape up the connectors because they can easily come undone.

·
Registered
574 Posts
1zach4 said:
If your XM/Sirius unit is rated @ 12V then you can simply cut the cig adapter plug off of your XM/Sirius power wire(I BELIEVE MOST SIRIUS UNITS ARE RATED @ 12V, BUT CHECK ON THE UNIT ANYWAY!)...the wire with the white stripes is your power wire, and the plain black wire is your ground wire. Simply strip back each wire and connect them to switched/accessory power, and ground.
Thanks. Nice post.
Yea, Im not fond of using the power outlet, and will "neaten up" my (12 volt) Sirius install once the car is just a little bit older. It's too now to muck with too very much right now. :)

Regards,
Glenn in CT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts