8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
I plan to retro my lights soon and i have one major concern
how do i make sure my lights wont fog up later on, i dont want to seal in moisture or whatnot
also what would be the best glue to reseal them.
ive seen people just heat up the glue it came with to let it bond back

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
3m butyl window weld
buy the ribbon type (can be foudn at most auto parts stores) and roll it between your hands to make it a thinner diameter (is wayy to thick the size it comes) and put it into the area where the front meets teh back of the headlight.
as for the back where teh projector protrudes, your on your own. try to use the OEM rubber cover, if its fits good but a few gaps, use the butyl sealnt there to...it might work.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3m butyl window weld
buy the ribbon type (can be foudn at most auto parts stores) and roll it between your hands to make it a thinner diameter (is wayy to thick the size it comes) and put it into the area where the front meets teh back of the headlight.
as for the back where teh projector protrudes, your on your own. try to use the OEM rubber cover, if its fits good but a few gaps, use the butyl sealnt there to...it might work.
does this need to be heated to activate?

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
no, but heat helps and makes it much more plaible (youll be able to seat teh front of teh headlight better, more liek OEM).

id highly recomend putting it in the headlight gap, heating the headlight then sealing the front to the back.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
i heat both pieces in the oven.......when you put the headlights in the oven, i put both front and back pieces so that they are making little contact at the seal....

after 5 min, I pull them out and join the front and back together and let it cool down in room temp...

no fogging

I've used this method on both my cars...both OEM headlights(01 Civic) and DEPO one(09 Civic)...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i heat both pieces in the oven.......when you put the headlights in the oven, i put both front and back pieces so that they are making little contact at the seal....

making little contact not sure exactly what you mean there.
also, im assuming you are reusing the factory sealant by heating it again?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I think he means just put the front lens back to the housing but not push it in, and put the whole thing into the oven. Factory sealant usually is good to go, as long as you didn't remove too much of it when you separate the lens. I will suggest to push the sealant into the groove with a flat head screwdriver and make it evenly distributed before you try to seal the front lens back, usually that give a better result. Adding some 3M Window Weld as quickfit said give you one more level of protection from fogging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts