8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I just noticed a lil bit of rust starting near my trunk above the tail light (center of the picture), as winter is now over with.

It's small but I'm afraid it will spread, I have never dealt with rust before (this is a 2010 civic, see attachment).

Should I be concerned ? What do you suggest that I do ?

Sorry for the newbie question I'm sure most people here know how to deal with this already

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
I would try to get a dremel and sand it off. Repainting it will be challenging as I'm sure you will want to blend it perfectly. I'm sure you don't want to paint the whole quarter panel. Anyway, It will get worse eventually. Try a body shop, they would do the same thing but do a better job of blending the color in. Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Paint prevents rust. Watch some YouTube videos on painting body panels it is not hard. Either way the new paint will be fresher than the old paint. Also under coat the chasis.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You've got quite a few options ranging a paint pen to respraying the car. I would look at the condition of the rest of your paint and the vehicle overall and decide how much fixing you're up for. If you just want to stop the rust and go about your life then I would recommend getting some fine sandpaper (1500) and a can of color matching spray paint. If you find a professional supply place they will mix you a higher quality can of your exact paint code including flake. Or parts stores carry close approximations. If you really really only care about the rust, scrape off as much paint as will come off easily and grab a paint pen. It'll show forever but stopping rust is what they're for. You can see YouTube's for examples of anything.

Edit: forgot to say if it's important to you that it look like this rust spot never happened I would see a professional as mentioned by others. If you're a detail person you can pull it off, but you won't be likely to get perfection the first time

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'd sand the rust and then put some rust converter on it. Don't sand any paint that is still good though. Keep the sanding as contained as possible. After that I would buy a bottle of touch up paint from Honda and finish with that. Some of the Honda touch up bottles come with an abrasive tip on them which would work well.

Don't try spray painting the area and blending into the rest of the quarter. It will look worse than if you did nothing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts