8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys well for most of our warm weathered members they don't have this issue but for us NE memebers and where others see snow 5 months out of the year your rotors if they are exposed can get covered will water rust. Is there anyone that knows a safe way of cleaning them without affecting the braking of the factory rotors? I had my rotors for about 32K since I bought the car brand new almost 3 yrs ago? Just want to at least make them look better for the warmer months that are coming? Just need some advice if someone has any? :wave:

·
Banned
796 Posts
I think he's referring to the rust that builds up on the edge of the rotor, not the rust on the actual part of the rotor where the brake pads come in contact.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
If that's the case, try using a wire bristle brush, maybe start with a brass one, but I would think steel would be fine as well.
sounds good. The only problem is that these things are so rust happy, even in the slightest humidity, that'll he'll be doing it all the time. I figure it's just best to not worry about it. Most people don't notice anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts
sounds good. The only problem is that these things are so rust happy, even in the slightest humidity, that'll he'll be doing it all the time. I figure it's just best to not worry about it. Most people don't notice anyway.
No question about it. Just washing the car and parking it until the next day, the rotors rust up and letting off the e-brake makes a nice "clunk".

Every rotor, and brake drum for that matter, rusts. You don't notice it on most vehicles, but when you have an open wheel design you notice the brakes more.

Try painting your calipers. That will distract you from looking at the rotor edge. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Some aftermarket rotors have a special coating on the parts that don't make contact with the pads.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whoa...ameuba10 your suggesting I paint my front ROTOR? I can paint the rear drum, but you can't paint the rotor itself that will get all in the pads and screw up my brakes....I do drive my car but I haven't all this past week because I had surgery and I saw it building up on it from all the rain we've had in the NE. I think the others are right once I get back to driving everyday it should solve it....thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
not where the pads meet the rotor, the vertical part where its rusts alot. the rust on the surface of your rotor will come off when you apply your brakes...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts