8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

I'm looking into changing my factory cloth seats with leather. I thought I would tackle this project little by little, so I started with what I thought would be the easiest part. I took one of the head rest from the back seat. Normally, in between the two little metal poles, one would find a fold in the fabric. In the fold is usually a metal/plastic clip (J hooks or clippers) that holds the cover on the foam headrest. On our R18s, this fold you will find is sown together, but there is a small slit.

Does anyone have experience in removing the covers?

I'm thinking our headrests are made in a certain way that the covers can NOT be removed. I've seen some techniques where the leather covers are just placed on top of the existing fabric, others get an exacto knife, cut near the seems and tear out the fabric. I figure I'd ask before I destroy my head rests, LOL.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The small slit is there so the foot of the sewing machine can be removed after stitching the headrest cover. (The OEM leather headrests are also stitched on.)

Do not remove the cloth cover. If you do, the leather headrest cover won't fit tightly.

Turn the leather headrest cover inside out and roll it over the headrest. You may have to fiddle with it to get it on right. It should be a nice tight fit once secured.

The headrests are the only parts that the OEM cloth remains intact.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The small slit is there so the foot of the sewing machine can be removed after stitching the headrest cover. (The OEM leather headrests are also stitched on.)

Do not remove the cloth cover. If you do, the leather headrest cover won't fit tightly.

Turn the leather headrest cover inside out and roll it over the headrest. You may have to fiddle with it to get it on right. It should be a nice tight fit once secured.

The headrests are the only parts that the OEM cloth remains intact.
That is extremely helpful! As always, thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stay tuned......

Well, I tried the "shop vac" method and couldn't get enough suction for the head rest foam to "shrink". UUrghhh

I tried the other night to gingerly fit the cover, but it's just not going to happen, I need suction!!

Shop-Vac method:

I need SUCTION!!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I've tried another vacuum cleaner that has tons of suction, but I still can't get the plastic bags (I've tried lots of bags) to shrink the damn thing.

I'm taking this to a pro.

Annoying.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pita!

Nevermind, got them to fit. You just have squeeze them like hell and have a second person fit the leather cover over it. Definitely a two man job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts