8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently above 60mph - while hard braking I am getting some left/right vibrations. I bet the rotor are slightly warped from heat cycles.

I did a search but came up empty on the steps on how to properly remove the rotors.

I do have an idea of how to remove them but wanted a guide just to be 100% sure. (1) Remove wheel. (2) Remove brake caliper. (3) Then take off the two phillp screws on the face of the rotor. (4) The rotor should come right off.

Can someone verify/correct this and link me to some photos.

Thanks a million.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yup thats it exactly, i have some photos on my home comp i'll post when i get back home. I had to use a punch to get the screws out, they just wouldn't budge.

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
have a good set of drill bits handy incase you need to drill the screws out. sometimes they rust in there pretty good ad strip easily trying to removend

·
Registered
800 Posts
I found that a phillips that goes on the end of a socket wrench will help to get them out without stripping them. This way you can keep the bit pressed into the slot and turn it (hard to explain).

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I found that a phillips that goes on the end of a socket wrench will help to get them out without stripping them. This way you can keep the bit pressed into the slot and turn it (hard to explain).
Exactly some people call them impact screws, because you have to knock the hell out of them to get them to budge. But I've done it several times just replace the screws after you take them out so you want have a hard time next time.

·
Registered
800 Posts
When you put the old ones in or new ones in, put a little anti-seize on them so next time the will come out easier.

·
Scrodums
9,486 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Driver side came out without a hitch. Zero damage to the screws.

Can not say the same for the passenger side. I did not have an impact driver around so I stripped the screw on the first attempt with a #3 phillip. Next I start drilling. On one of the screw. It drilled out easily. As for the other screw. That was stuck good. I had to drill deeper for it to give. The rotor has some metal missing - nothing that will affect its function. The rotor mount also have some thread missing (half of 2 to be exact) - nothing significant that will affect its function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TIP: when you spray penetrant fluid to help losen the bolt. After the front - get to the underside of the rotor mount and spray some on there to before attempting to unscrew. That way you have penetrant on both side of the screw.

If I knew ahead of time - I would of done so. Would of help for sure. Only found out after everything was already apart.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Your rotor was most likely not warped, FYI. OEM-style pads (and many others) leave deposits on the rotor face which cause vibration.

A re-bedding procedure will mostly get rid of those deposits.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Also, some people will just slam the old rotor with a sledgehammer until it pushes over the screw head. And then they vise grip the screw and turn it out.

Not my cup of tea, but figured I'd mention it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the insight regarding rebedding. I am a day late and a dollar short. I have already had the rotor resurfaced and the vibration is gone.

As for rebedding. I totaly understand the concept and usage. It is a sanding effect of two surface to create a smooth mate.

In this particular case - the rotor was glass smooth. I did not see any foreign material whatsoever on it. Are such deposit visable?

Next time for sure - I will definitely try the rebed technique before pulling the rotor for a resurface.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Deposits can be visual, but it takes almost nothing to create the pulsation. No big deal man, I spent years getting rotors resurfaced or replaced before i found out...

Besides which, even with confirmed deposits, you can't always re-bed them smooth. Some brake pads will leave deposits, and notbe able to remove them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts