8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

I recently bought a '08 FA5 back in april (i'm the 3rd owner) and I have asked for all the mods the 2nd owner has done to the car. The owner mentioned the car only had a K&N sri and that's it. I asked if the car had any tune on it and he said no.

Anyway, couple months later, I started noticing that the car always hits vtec at 4500 rpm and also has launch control option, AFR on tach, etc.... I'm assuming the car has a tune??

I went to a local tune shop and they told me that I would need the original FlashPro to reflash to stock, otherwise, I would need to get a stock ECU off another 2008 si. Is that actually the case? I am just afraid if the car has a poor tune done to it, AFR always shows to be between 13.8 and 14.2 at idle and that's worrying me.

The guy I bought the car from said he never had a flashpro with him so I guess the 1st owner probably had flashpro, but never reflashed to stock. Doesn't that mean he is also not able to use the FP anymore, since it's locked under the car?

What's the best next step here? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Your car definitely has a tune on it.

I've heard you can send the ECU to Hondata and they can unlock for you. It'll cost you though. Probably more than just getting a used stock ECU but im not sure how much either option costs.

If you are really worried you could also bring it too a dyno and have them at least test the AFRs with an external gauge to verify them. Also with a bluetooth reader you can monitor the knock count. That is something the base Hondata has a problem with. If both are good then I would leave it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your car definitely has a tune on it.

I've heard you can send the ECU to Hondata and they can unlock for you. It'll cost you though. Probably more than just getting a used stock ECU but im not sure how much either option costs.

If you are really worried you could also bring it too a dyno and have them at least test the AFRs with an external gauge to verify them. Also with a bluetooth reader you can monitor the knock count. That is something the base Hondata has a problem with. If both are good then I would leave it.
I got hold of the 1st owner and yes, he said there were 2 tunes done to the car. I’m waiting to see if he still has the flashpro. If not, I will try going to a shop to check the afr and knock count as you said. How does the Bluetooth reader work btw...like plug the obd into car and connect to a device through Bluetooth? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I got hold of the 1st owner and yes, he said there were 2 tunes done to the car. I’m waiting to see if he still has the flashpro. If not, I will try going to a shop to check the afr and knock count as you said. How does the Bluetooth reader work btw...like plug the obd into car and connect to a device through Bluetooth? Thanks in advance!
Ya there are bunch of reader you can get. I got the OBD LX. It plugs into your OBD port and then bluetooths to your phone. You can read all the sensor values in real time. You also can read and clear codes if needed. Always a handy thing to have for basic diagnostics.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
He probably bought a reflash license, but the shop that did it probably locked the calibration. Meaning only the shop that tuned it can unlock it so another shop can tune it. Yeah, you'll need a whole new ECU in order to get around taking it back to the OG shop. Even if you do take it back, they have to use the OG flashpro to unlock it, and they may not have that anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts