8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While changing my brake fluid, I want to be able to remove all 4 tires at once to speed up the process and to rotate all tires at once. What's the best way to accomplish this with a hydraulic jack and 4 jack stands? I will be doing this at the in-laws house since my jack doesn't go high enough to put the front end of my car on my taller-than-normal stands. Hopefully they will have a jack big enough to get one pair of stands on the front two supports behind the tires, then just jack the rear end up and put two more stands by the other two supports by the wheels? vice versa? What's the best way?

R18, AT, BTW

·
Banned
3,392 Posts
That's how I do it. I jack up the front, put the stands on, then jack up the back and put stands on.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You can jack up the front, put it on stands then go to the back and repeat. With the front on stands already you may need to put some wood blocks under the jacking spot of the car to get the extra height needed (if your jack can't go up that high).

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
Would the same process work for an si? Was wondering because I also need to rotate my tires.
no, definatly not. you have to jack up the rear of the SI first, then the front. doing the r18 procedure on the SI will cause catastrophic failure.

:facepalm:

·
Registered
670 Posts
no. only the summer tires option are directional.
I thought the summer tire option for the Si (PS2's) were asymmetric, but not directional?

If you have aftermarket tires, it'll say on the sidewall if they're asymmetric, direction, both, or neither.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
While changing my brake fluid, I want to be able to remove all 4 tires at once to speed up the process and to rotate all tires at once. What's the best way to accomplish this with a hydraulic jack and 4 jack stands? I will be doing this at the in-laws house since my jack doesn't go high enough to put the front end of my car on my taller-than-normal stands. Hopefully they will have a jack big enough to get one pair of stands on the front two supports behind the tires, then just jack the rear end up and put two more stands by the other two supports by the wheels? vice versa? What's the best way?

R18, AT, BTW
If you lay on your back and slide underneath the front of the car, you'll see an arrow on the plastic undercover pointing to the jack point for the front.

For the rear, you jack the car from the tow hook. Believe it or not, it is what Honda recommends.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you lay on your back and slide underneath the front of the car, you'll see an arrow on the plastic undercover pointing to the jack point for the front.

For the rear, you jack the car from the tow hook. Believe it or not, it is what Honda recommends.
Hmmm, I always just jacked it up using the oil pan and put the stands under the plastic front bumper on each side. I'll try this next time.

:clapping:

·
Registered
12 Posts
This question is more fun if you only have 2 Jack stands. Put one at opposite corners and have a friend balance it for you. I don't see why people talk about rotating tires anyways. Mine rotate every time I drive it so why Jack it up to rotate them? Just drive.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
This question is more fun if you only have 2 Jack stands. Put one at opposite corners and have a friend balance it for you. I don't see why people talk about rotating tires anyways. Mine rotate every time I drive it so why Jack it up to rotate them? Just drive.
i lol'd.

Take your front wheels off sometime. You'll notice they don't stand up straight, as the outside is more worn out than the inside.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Oh - because it will wear your tires out faster is all - especially on a frontwheel drive car, the fronts wear a lot quick than the rear - so rotating will allow you to go longer between tire purchases. I need to rotate mine this weekend, actually.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well what I heard is if you go long enough metal will start to show once you get all that stupid rubber out the way. I figure metal won't wear near as fast as rubber.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well what I heard is if you go long enough metal will start to show once you get all that stupid rubber out the way. I figure metal won't wear near as fast as rubber.
You won't have to worry about it at all once you put 5k miles on the metal... or... IF you put 5k miles on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts