8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't tell me to rust proof! :facepalm:

I live in Toronto and they use a lot of salt in the winters. I was wondering if there is a way to prevent rust from forming on the quarter rear panels. I don't believe in rust proofing because they drill holes in your car and spray oils all over, guaranteed a dirty car for the rest of its life... Does anyone have tips on rust proofing without actually rust proofing? Im thinking of buying fusso wax from soft99 would that help?

thanks guys

·
Registered
372 Posts
I hear you, I have been frustrated with the same thing. I used to live in Brampton and they're just as bad let me tell you. The whole freaking roads are always white! And not from snow either. The amount of snow the gta gets doesn't warrant the amount of salt at all. I never knew how they rust proofed cars, that's really gross and doesn't sound appealing. My engine block is corroded from salt and I have rust starting in my engine bay, so I'm in for answers too. Anyone?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have an electronic rust prevention system they tossed at me when I bought the car, doesn't seem to do anything lol

·
Registered
879 Posts
You don't need to drill any holes to rust proof these cars. There are quite a bit of factory holes on the body. If you don't want to rust proof then I'm not sure what to tell you? Get as little salt on the car as possible and clean it off quickly. Or buy a winter beater.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The only thing I can think of is clear bra on the whole car. It's pretty much a protective clear vinyl wrap to protect the paint. But I've never done it before just read up on it briefly once. I don't know if it would work for that purpose. You could look it up though perhaps. The added plus of that is the car will be less prone to damage from rocks and debris on the road as well. That's that main reason I hear people do it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
^ That would do nothing to stop rust other than rust from paint chips. Rust starts from the inside out and all the little crevices where moisture sit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Don't tell me to rust proof! :facepalm:

I live in Toronto and they use a lot of salt in the winters. I was wondering if there is a way to prevent rust from forming on the quarter rear panels. I don't believe in rust proofing because they drill holes in your car and spray oils all over, guaranteed a dirty car for the rest of its life... Does anyone have tips on rust proofing without actually rust proofing? Im thinking of buying fusso wax from soft99 would that help?

thanks guys
Check out the YellowPages and call around and see what they are charging. There are different types of rust proofing and undercoating does not have to have holes drilled like oil sprays. Undercoating involves spraying a tar-based substance on the exposed parts of a vehicle's underbody.

I also have an electronic rust prevention system they tossed at me when I bought the car, doesn't seem to do anything lol
Those electronic rust proofing chips are a sham. I worked in a dealership which sold them as an accessory on new vehicles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys, It seems as if the only way to really prevent rusting is to park the car during winter months when they salt the roads. The clear coat is terrible on these cars to begin with sadly. Ive heard of this product called "fusso wax" its a japanese wax that gives a super hydrophobic coating that lasts 12 months, I'm going to buy it and give it a try. Ive seen some fusso wax videos and I was impressed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts