8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
I'm making this thread b/c of the numerous ?'s i get about my wheels, I should've made this a long time ago. Sorry no pix of the actual work in progress.

!!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!! THIS DOES TAKE SOME SKILL, NOT FOR BEGINNERS.....
SKILL LEVEL 1-10

There ARE many ways to do this but this is how i did mine, all in the same day. TOTAL TIME: ABOUT 8hrs

PREPARATION
1: Take wheel off of the car and demount tire from rim.
2: Clean the rim w/soap & water, then with pre-clean solution.
3: Mask off part of rim u don't want painted.
4: Sand rim w/600 grit sandpaper or wet sand w/400grit.
5: Blow off the rim then clean rim w/ pre-clean solution again. And wipe with a tack cloth.
6: Mix paint if needed. Have the proper spray guns available.

APPLYING PAINT
7: Spray rims with a light coat of paint. Wait 5-10min.
8: Spray 2nd coat on rims be sure to cover everything u want painted w/paint. Wait 10-15min or.........
9: I put 3 coats but not necessary if u feel the rim is fully covered in paint. (I just wanted to be sure). Wait 10-15min.

CLEARING
10: Have your clearcoat ready. Spray 1st coat on lightly. Just enough so the clear could grab onto the surface. You don't want this coat too wet or it might peel. Wait 5-10min.
11: Spray 2nd coat on pretty wet. !!!CAUTION!!! this does take some skill to apply or else the clear might run/sag. Wait 10-15min.
12: Once again a 3rd coat is not needed but I put one on. Refer to 2nd coat for application & wait time.
13: If done at a real body shop: Bake in spray booth @ 160 degrees (not sure on the temperature, it's been quite a while since I painted) for 30mins.
14: Let cool for 10-15min. Then turn the heat back on for another 30mins.
15: Repeat step 14 again.

FINISHED PAINTING
16: Take off masking tape/paper (Rims might still be HOT).
17: Mount tire on rim. If done correctly the rim shouldn't get scratched.
18: Mount wheel on car.
19: Rims are safe to wash w/water ONLY for the 1st day or two.
20: Step back and look at ur work:thumb: .

CENTER CAP
21: Same process as rims. I just added a decal/sticker.

I hope this helped......:banana-wa don't forget to rep me. I'm kinda low as it is. Thanx

A few pix of my rims.

Very good instructions bear.. +Rep for that!!!! :biggrin:

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
SI_ckness said:
were did u get the sticker for the center cap
i had a friend make them for me...:thumb:

Forkingkrazy said:
Very good instructions bear.. +Rep for that!!!! :biggrin:
Thanx...:wavey:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
not sure if this has been answered

but do you highly recomend that you have them heated

i know some people on this site did not even take them off the rims

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
i actually would say it's best to just let them dry naturally b/c when u dry with heat it forces the paint to dry... it's really for show purposes that u would let it dry naturally b/c it makes it easier to get a good shine...

·
Banned
49,418 Posts
Wakeboarder11 said:
ok how did you do that to the center caps? i want to paint my wheels but how did you make a black cap with a red honda logo on it?
With a tiny paintbrush......lol

it's a vinyl sticker

·
Registered
235 Posts
Looking at your pictures really has me debating now....I just might bight the bullet and do it myself....

OR

I think I can just take it to a body shop and have them use some nice black autopaint to paint the rims and let them air dry (I wouldnt take the tires off)

Since you are experienced with paint....how do you think some nice candy red sparkles would look with black...I mean a very light mix of it just so when you sit up close to the wheels you can see it...

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
red sparkles are flashy b/c they're metallics, a little bit of pearl would give u a solid black looking rim in the shade and darker places... and in the light it would stand out more... my rims have a lot of pearls in them at night they are pretty dark colored rims... and in the daytime they are a hell of a lot lighter...

IMO Pearls > Flakes

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
well the different pearls i know are the regular pearls, ice pearls, and kameleon pearls... all of these come in different materials some come dry, like a powder, and others come in a liquid form... depending on what it kind of pearl it is determines on how much to use on the paint...

IMO ice pearls would look the best... they just look cleaner to me, regular pearls have a more change of color look.... if u take regular pearls red for instance and paint over black it would make it look like a dark cherry red COLOR as opposed to ice pearls that would make it still look close to black but it shines more of the red pearl in the light... kinda like a flake effect... i hope that made sense and helps...

i used both forms on my wheels but more ICE pearls than the other...

Kameleon pearls do just what they say they have a color shift effect like blue to green... or red to gold... etc...

·
Registered
7,573 Posts
hey bizzy i'm sorry but can you tell us what kind of materials(companies) products you used for this?

like what kind of clear coating product and painting and spray guns

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
it's ok i would've missed it if i hadn't been asked that question so many times...:biggrin:

41 - 60 of 334 Posts