8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm making this thread b/c of the numerous ?'s i get about my wheels, I should've made this a long time ago. Sorry no pix of the actual work in progress.

!!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!! THIS DOES TAKE SOME SKILL, NOT FOR BEGINNERS.....
SKILL LEVEL 1-10

There ARE many ways to do this but this is how i did mine, all in the same day. TOTAL TIME: ABOUT 8hrs

PREPARATION
1: Take wheel off of the car and demount tire from rim.
2: Clean the rim w/soap & water, then with pre-clean solution.
3: Mask off part of rim u don't want painted.
4: Sand rim w/600 grit sandpaper or wet sand w/400grit.
5: Blow off the rim then clean rim w/ pre-clean solution again. And wipe with a tack cloth.
6: Mix paint if needed. Have the proper spray guns available.

APPLYING PAINT
7: Spray rims with a light coat of paint. Wait 5-10min.
8: Spray 2nd coat on rims be sure to cover everything u want painted w/paint. Wait 10-15min or.........
9: I put 3 coats but not necessary if u feel the rim is fully covered in paint. (I just wanted to be sure). Wait 10-15min.

CLEARING
10: Have your clearcoat ready. Spray 1st coat on lightly. Just enough so the clear could grab onto the surface. You don't want this coat too wet or it might peel. Wait 5-10min.
11: Spray 2nd coat on pretty wet. !!!CAUTION!!! this does take some skill to apply or else the clear might run/sag. Wait 10-15min.
12: Once again a 3rd coat is not needed but I put one on. Refer to 2nd coat for application & wait time.
13: If done at a real body shop: Bake in spray booth @ 160 degrees (not sure on the temperature, it's been quite a while since I painted) for 30mins.
14: Let cool for 10-15min. Then turn the heat back on for another 30mins.
15: Repeat step 14 again.

FINISHED PAINTING
16: Take off masking tape/paper (Rims might still be HOT).
17: Mount tire on rim. If done correctly the rim shouldn't get scratched.
18: Mount wheel on car.
19: Rims are safe to wash w/water ONLY for the 1st day or two.
20: Step back and look at ur work:thumb: .

CENTER CAP
21: Same process as rims. I just added a decal/sticker.

I hope this helped......:banana-wa

A few pix of my rims.

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mikey6p said:
Am I reading that correctly?
key word was SAFE. u could wash it from day one with whatever u want but don't cry if u mess up ur paint. after it's fully cured it's safe to wash with w/e.

·
Administrator
45,045 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
key word was SAFE. u could wash it from day one with whatever u want but don't cry if u mess up ur paint. after it's fully cured it's safe to wash with w/e.
Gotcha. Your instructions imply that you cant wash them after 2 days. I was confused.

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mikey6p said:
Gotcha. Your instructions imply that you cant wash them after 2 days. I was confused.
my bad

·
Registered
351 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
I'm making this thread b/c of the numerous ?'s i get about my wheels, I should've made this a long time ago. Sorry no pix of the actual work in progress.

!!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!!CAUTION!!! THIS DOES TAKE SOME SKILL, NOT FOR BEGINNERS.....
SKILL LEVEL 1-10

There ARE many ways to do this but this is how i did mine, all in the same day. TOTAL TIME: ABOUT 8hrs

PREPARATION
1: Take wheel off of the car and demount tire from rim.
2: Clean the rim w/soap & water, then with pre-clean solution.
3: Mask off part of rim u don't want painted.
4: Sand rim w/600 grit sandpaper or wet sand w/400grit.
5: Blow off the rim then clean rim w/ pre-clean solution again. And wipe with a tack cloth.
6: Mix paint if needed. Have the proper spray guns available.

APPLYING PAINT
7: Spray rims with a light coat of paint. Wait 5-10min.
8: Spray 2nd coat on rims be sure to cover everything u want painted w/paint. Wait 10-15min or.........
9: I put 3 coats but not necessary if u feel the rim is fully covered in paint. (I just wanted to be sure). Wait 10-15min.

CLEARING
10: Have your clearcoat ready. Spray 1st coat on lightly. Just enough so the clear could grab onto the surface. You don't want this coat too wet or it might peel. Wait 5-10min.
11: Spray 2nd coat on pretty wet. !!!CAUTION!!! this does take some skill to apply or else the clear might run/sag. Wait 10-15min.
12: Once again a 3rd coat is not needed but I put one on. Refer to 2nd coat for application & wait time.
13: If done at a real body shop: Bake in spray booth @ 160 degrees (not sure on the temperature, it's been quite a while since I painted) for 30mins.
14: Let cool for 10-15min. Then turn the heat back on for another 30mins.
15: Repeat step 14 again.

FINISHED PAINTING
16: Take off masking tape/paper (Rims might still be HOT).
17: Mount tire on rim. If done correctly the rim shouldn't get scratched.
18: Mount wheel on car.
19: Rims are safe to wash w/water ONLY for the 1st day or two.
20: Step back and look at ur work:thumb: .

I hope this helped......:banana-wa don't forget to rep me. I'm kinda low as it is. Thanx

A few pix of my rims.

Thaks allot brah. What type of paint you used. Paint code # would help brah. However on your opinion what color you think would match a Rallye Red Si?

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HoNdA06 said:
Thaks allot brah. What type of paint you used. Paint code # would help brah. However on your opinion what color you think would match a Rallye Red Si?
i used Lesonal paint. the code # i can't remember but it was an 05-06 Chrysler color, Dark Viper Gray Metallic or something like that.

Sorry i can't help ya on the RR color choice.

·
Registered
351 Posts
bizzybearfigiblue said:
i used Lesonal paint. the code # i can't remember but it was an 05-06 Chrysler color, Dark Viper Gray Metallic or something like that.

Sorry i can't help ya on the RR color choice.
Thants enought brah, great help. And once again ride looking good. Hoping to soon be in the mainland and do some of these meets!

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
H3DTRNR said:
hey I added a clearcoat to it, is it supposed to come out white at first???
No that usually occurs when u don't allow sufficiant time to dry b4 applying the next coat. the paint underneath is trying to cure and bubbles raise up and cause the white look.

Dixon Toudeap said:
how would this handle come the wintertime and salty roads for us northerners?
well i used car paint so it will hold up just as ur car would.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
They look great.

I'm planning on getting mine done over the winter. I might get them powder coated instead of painted and I'll be using the same colour that the RSX Type-S wheels were. OEM painted codes FTW!

·
Registered
218 Posts
CENTER CAP
21: Same process as rims. I just added a decal/sticker.

dude, where did u get the decals..? ebay...?

thanks

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
Nice DIY Bizzy!!!

·
Purpul Plane 4ever!
40,686 Posts
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bizzybearfigiblue again.

1 - 20 of 334 Posts