8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
making a sportier automatic transmission?

ok, so us in the automatic world, dont really get much performance, and it sucks not being able to have fun like manual's going through the gears and such...

and i was looking at the firewall in my car, and noticed that i am assuming you would have to start cutting holes in the firewall to do a manual swap...

so while in a class for work today... i started to brain storm on how to make the car alittle sportier... i figure a tranny cooler could help keep the temps cooler to make the abuse not as harsh, and maybe a tuner... to up the pressures and shift better in spirited driving...

then i started thinking of the honda fit and that it has an automatic version... plus paddles...

so... i am started to wonder how hard it would be to swap the paddle system into the civic?

i started to think maybe that you would have to swap trannies... but essentially the way the way i think the paddles work, is just like drive, but when you hit the paddles it shifts gears when you want it and such, rather than regular driving... and it doing it on its own

so i would think in all honesty... i think you could use the stock tranny, but just gotta figure out what the paddels tell what controller to shift the tranny...

heres some pictures...

you can see here that the shifter assembly is similar, so if you did need to swap it, it should be pretty easy...

heres a link to an auction for an automatic Fit... not too bad on price...

Honda Fit Transmission Automatic 12k AT 07 08 2007 2008 : eBay Motors (item 350233477697 end time May-25-10 15:40:18 PDT)

and heres a steering wheel from a fit with the paddles, and cruise, sinse my car also has cruise... im sure it can all be hooked up and work the vehicle properly...

Image Sheet

so whats your thoughts on this? i think it could work, with alittle research...

and i just found a honda fit shifter... and it doesnt seem any different than the civic shifter... so i think theres gotta be a transmission controller the paddles communicate with and thats what does the sport shifting...

·
Registered
35,569 Posts
seems good in theory.. i wudnt wanna be the first guy to do it tho lol

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
why not just save the time and money and get a cheap manual car for fun driving? ie integra, eg-ek civic hatch, 240sx

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
because i cannot afford another car. plus, it'll add the fact that of making the civic automatic more fun to drive.

it appears on fit forums,that no one really knows how they work... i may invest in some wiring diagrams for the fit and see what i can see with the wiring for the paddles themselves.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I own a 09 auto honda fit sport. Lurk on here until october when i get my SI.

Your stock transmission will not work with our paddle shifters and our transmission wont hook up to your engine. So unless you swap your motor to a L15 it wont work.

Now if you put a K20 under your hood and a transmission from the RSX or TSX with sport shift you have much more possibilty but still run into ECU issues.

BTW the steering wheel from the 09+ fits are exactly the same as the ones in the civics.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ just wondering where your sources are, just so i can read up on the info...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not meaning to rain on your parade, conventional A/T to Paddle shift+A/T swap will require a lot more changes than that:

1. Steering wheel (with the paddles)
2. RPM Gauge (with the gear indicator)
3. Shifter assembly (from 7 position to 5 position)
4. ECM/PCM
5. Wire harnessing/cables

and wait for it...

6. The whole A/T transmission

Don't compare the Fit to the Civic. For the last one, the Civic uses two types of shifters and A/T assemblies:

1. 7-position: P R N D D3 2 1
2. 5-position: P R N D S

Those two above have different transmission assembly part nos.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not meaning to rain on your parade, conventional A/T to Paddle shift+A/T swap will require a lot more changes than that:

1. Steering wheel (with the paddles)
2. RPM Gauge (with the gear indicator)
3. Shifter assembly (from 7 position to 5 position)
4. ECM/PCM
5. Wire harnessing/cables

and wait for it...

6. The whole A/T transmission

Don't compare the Fit to the Civic. For the last one, the Civic uses two types of shifters and A/T assemblies:

1. 7-position: P R N D D3 2 1
2. 5-position: P R N D S

Those two above have different transmission assembly part nos.

i understand what you are saying... but what i am saying is, figuring out how the paddles tell the fit PCM to shift, and how we could maybe adapt that to the civic and install the wheel and have the padels tell the civic PCM to shift... now it would mean there would have to be something that mimics and tells the PCM to up and down shift...

but thats what i am looking at... im sure that there has gotta be a way to maybe swap the tranny controller, and adapt the harnesses...

basically, i am just lookin for maybe a chance to use the fit wheel with paddles to make the auto tranny shift...

and also... the gauge cluster... you wouldnt need that unless you really wanted to get creative... and maybe hook up some type of screen that could display the gear you are in...

Fitfreak.net we had discussions about putting K20's into the a/t fits and still using the paddle shifters.
cool, i posted a thread on fitfreak, so hopefully someone will point me to that thread...

there has gotta be a way to somewhat do it... i think maybe getting a tranny controller from a fit... the wheel with paddles, and then adapt the civic tranny and fit tranny harnesses together..... then in theory you should be able to have the paddles tell the tranny to up and down shift... in theory... now... lol

i mean if you can drop a k20 into an early 80's civic and make it look like it came that way... then theres probaly gotta be a way... maybe...

and also another example, is frieghtliner... they have push button systems in their trucks and hot rodders have the same thing..

im sure it can be done.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The sport shift controls are built into the transmission. Theres no real way to add those controls to the stock civic transmission. Even the base model a/t fit has a different transmission than the fit sport.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
what controls? all they could be really would be valve bodies...

all i can really see the way it works, is if you hit the plus paddle... it sends a signal to the PCM, and then the pcm tells the valve bodies to shift the transmission into another gear,

because thats the basic theory behind just sticking the car in Drive.

when the car reaches a certain speed at a certain RPM, the PCM tells the valve bodies to shift.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
honhon, you're pretty stubborn. Listen to the people in here. All of this would require something custom. And definitely not something you could take on.

Get off it. This is not something you'd want to attempt to do to your car, i forsee a lot of wasted money for something so pathetic.

If you want harder firmer shifts... get the transmission built and a higher stall put in.

and they can add a shift kit, or you can firm up the shifts once hondata puts out an auto transmission r18 flashpro.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im not being stubborn, im just tossing out ideas and thoughts... i am reading what people are posting

im just trying to think that because honda does make things pretty simple to begin with, that with alittle research and inginuity, it maybe able to work...

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you can manage it then awesome. But they already make a sporty auto tranny... honda just hasn't gotten with the game yet... The twin clutch automated manual trannies. They shift faster than any human. The German cars have them... the American cars are starting to come with them... but as usual, honda will refuse to jump on that band wagon. A little pricey, yes, but... better fuel economy, more gears, and better shifting... could make a civic coupe auto faster than a manual.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, it would be nice... ive been comparing pictures of the fit and civic trannies to see if there is something completely different that makes the fit's tranny specific to be only used with the peddles...

·
Premium Member
37,358 Posts
whoa, alotta im thinking in that first post ...

whats PCM ? Transmission Control Module ?

also, our automatic do have shifters.

left hand on the steering wheel, right foot on the gas, middle finger on the shift buttong, palm on the shifter.

go to 1,2,d3,d and vice versa to suit your needs

at WOT shift the lever into second at around 6k, this way by the time it actually changes its at redline.

or sell your auto civic, and buy a manual. manual are cheaper so youll save mod money and get cash back !

-vic

1 - 20 of 65 Posts