8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to driving stick and have an 08 si coupe. My friend was trying to show me how today. he said the best way is the tack 2-3 grand with the ebake up and the let the ebrake off/slam the gas, he said it stops spinning. but the best way ive found is to rev to about 4 and dump the clutch... are we both doing it wrong? should i be revving to almost redline before i launch like in forza 2 haha. also VSA on or off?
thanks,
vince

·
Registered
563 Posts
VSA off when launching. Also u can hold the e-brake up and launch that way. U really don't want to burn up the street tires, it doesn't really help unless if you went through the water. I personally launch at 4000 RPM and drop the clutch and feather it and go.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Yea i would not race the car til you drive it for at least 6 months. I dont mean to sound like an ass but youve been driving for like a year and are new to stick so if you run it hard your def gonna brake something. You really need to know how to drive stick flawlessly before you start to run it hard.

Where to start lol. 1st the ebrake will make you spin more cause we're FWD. 2 you cant redline launch it cause we have a 5500 RPM limiter when stopped. 3. VSA off

If you are gonna launch it tho do it 3-4k and dont just drop it. You gotta kinda hard feather it.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Yea i would not race the car til you drive it for at least 6 months. I dont mean to sound like an ass but youve been driving for like a year and are new to stick so if you run it hard your def gonna brake something. You really need to know how to drive stick flawlessly before you start to run it hard.

Where to start lol. 1st the ebrake will make you spin more cause we're FWD. 2 you cant redline launch it cause we have a 5500 RPM limiter when stopped. 3. VSA off

If you are gonna launch it tho do it 3-4k and dont just drop it. You gotta kinda hard feather it.
not completly true, if you do it right it will pre-load the tranny and suspension and actually give you a better launch, i can post on how i used to use this method if you'd like

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Yea i guess i can see how that'd work. Get the suspension tight.

And yes i would very much like you to post that info. :p
no problem man, its kinda hard to explain online, its more of a "i have to show you" thing but ill try my best.

1st pull the e-brake up fully leaving your thumb on the button so you can quickly put it down
2nd with your car in 1st gear hold the revs to where you wanna launch....say 3.5k
3rd slowly let out the clutch until you feel it start to cath, at this point you'll feel the car start to creep forward a bit, but it wont move cause of the e-brake
4th when your ready let the e-brake down while giving gas and letting the clutch out at the same time, you should take off with very little wheel spin this way.

i personally used to launch this way

·
Registered
877 Posts
no problem man, its kinda hard to explain online, its more of a "i have to show you" thing but ill try my best.

1st pull the e-brake up fully leaving your thumb on the button so you can quickly put it down
2nd with your car in 1st gear hold the revs to where you wanna launch....say 3.5k
3rd slowly let out the clutch until you feel it start to cath, at this point you'll feel the car start to creep forward a bit, but it wont move cause of the e-brake
4th when your ready let the e-brake down while giving gas and letting the clutch out at the same time, you should take off with very little wheel spin this way.

i personally used to launch this way
now what do you do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts