8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Noticed a rust spot near the sunroof on my 07 Civic (about an inch) and was wondering what the options are to fix it.
Goal is to do minimal work to resolve the issue even if its not that pretty.

Was thinking of
  • cleaning with alcohol
  • use rust neutralizer - (any suggestion on which one to use)
  • layers of touch up paint

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have many little rock chips on the hood and front fenders, do a lot of hi-way driving, and have seen post that said use a balsamic vinegar.. tried it and it seems to keep further rust and remove the rust stains around the areas, but has to be reapplied regularly.. I did not follow through with scrape/sand and touch up.

That spot looks a bit worse that a rock chip and I'd open sun roof, clean, neutralize, mask the area, sand and feather out the edges, hit it with a little primer then touch up paint.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have many little rock chips on the hood and front fenders, do a lot of hi-way driving, and have seen post that said use a balsamic vinegar.. tried it and it seems to keep further rust and remove the rust stains around the areas, but has to be reapplied regularly.. I did not follow through with scrape/sand and touch up.

That spot looks a bit worse that a rock chip and I'd open sun roof, clean, neutralize, mask the area, sand and feather out the edges, hit it with a little primer then touch up paint.
Thanks, I'm assuming rock chip, don't know for sure.

Wondering what the issue would be if I just did the steps that I outlined earlier?

·
Registered
583 Posts
The touch up paint marker from Honda has a scraper piece in the end that will scrape the rust off when you are preparing to touch it up with base coat. Using the marker will work good enough but my fix would be to open the sunroof, wire wheel, primer, base, then clear. Lots of work involved but that will get rid of the rust problem 100%.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine and I hate to have to tear into it..
But this is what I did..

I lifted up the loose/rusted paint in that area to leave the rust exposed..

Then I removed all the rust with a dremel or sandpaper.. which ever is available.
That way all that cancer is gone and we start clean..

After that I used some body filler to level it out..

Then I hit it with
  • 3 coats of Rustoleum filler primer
  • 3 coats of base coat (Paint)
  • 3 coats of 2 component Clear Coat.
And the results were pretty professional..

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello,

Noticed a rust spot near the sunroof on my 07 Civic (about an inch) and was wondering what the options are to fix it.
Goal is to do minimal work to resolve the issue even if its not that pretty.

Was thinking of
  • cleaning with alcohol
  • use rust neutralizer - (any suggestion on which one to use)
  • layers of touch up paint
So, in your case..
If you don't plan on keeping the car for 10 more years..
I would sand down as much as you feel comfortable with..
Then apply some paintable rust treatment you can brush.. which you can buy at your local Autozone or any Autoparts store..

Then you can apply some touch up Paint or Aerosol can over that along with some Touch up Clear Coat or Aerosol can to "seal" the deal.

I strongly recommend masking and Spray painting the area for maximum protection.

Either way.. it all depends on how long your keeping your car.👍🏻

Ps.
Nᴏᴛ ᴍᴀɴʏ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ʟᴏᴏᴋɪɴɢ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴏᴏғ ᴏғ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴄᴀʀ.. Sᴏ ɪᴛ ᴅᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ ᴘᴇʀғᴇᴄᴛ.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts