8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this helps all you SI owners w/ 3rd gear problems duplicate the problem at the dealers. This works on my SI sedan, don't know if it will work on yours but it's definitely worth a try. I've been thinking long and hard on how to duplicate this at the dealers since they never seem to be able to do it...works about 1 out of 30 times consistently.

YOU MUST FOLLOW THESE STEPS EXACTLY IN ORDER TO DUPLICATE IT.

Step 1: Turn car on and have shifter in Neutral
Step 2: Press clutch down
Step 3: Engage in 3rd gear w/ clutch still down
Step 4: Release clutch and disengage 3rd gear back into Neutral.
Step 5: Repeat Step 2-4

If you keep on repeating this you will find that sometimes the 3rd gear WILL NOT fully engage even with the clutch all the way down(show honda tech this).... At this point you actually have to use alot more force shifting into 3rd.... you will hear and feel a slight "click"... Now it is fully engaged.... Sometimes i have to put so much force shifting into third that the shifter actually starts to feel like its bending. Again this happens 1 out of 30 times... sometimes i get it 3 times consecutively.

Pressing the clutch down and moving the 3rd gear up and down does not work, you gotta follow those steps exactly!

I will be showing this to the honda tech on my next oil change in about month and will start a new thread on my experience there.

Pros: Dealer will see that 3rd gear is really hard to engage and can't say they couldn't duplicate a 3rd gear problem.

Cons: The car is still parked so they won't be able to see it grind or pop.(but i will be telling them that it is harder and worse when driving.)

Let me know if this works for you guys and get out to the dealers if it does.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
The only real problem I have with 3rd gear is that sometimes it feels like it went into gear and I start releasing the clutch, only to find it's not really in it and GRIND.

My problems lies in the 2nd gear, which has come back after I thought the dealership fixed it.

Thanks for the help replicating this though.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They're probably just going to tell you you should be shifting out of gear with the clutch as well instead of just popping it out of gear.

·
Banned
173 Posts
thats kinda funny because i did something similar just moving back and forth from 4th to 3rd and it'd start to lock up....

The service mgr asked why would I do that.

Told him to one show him there is a problem because under no circumstances should it lock up. Also to clear the gear... Used to have to do that on old domestics to get it to go into gear. Three on tha tree..

So unfortunately he did not like my answer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts