8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
28,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watch the video and you'll understand more... They talk about it in the first 5 minutes or so.

Deposits are when more material is transferred from the pad to the rotor unevenly, causing brake judder and inconsistent pedal feel.

·
Premium Member
32,121 Posts
Thanks for the info, Robert. Unfortunately, I believe I'm beyond the bed-in process, with 3000 or so miles on my new brakes :banghead:

·
Banned
28,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if you watch the video you will see that's not the case and you could probably benefit still.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
I did'nt wanna wait for the video to load so I read the article and it mentioned that the transfer layer gets rubbed off when the brakes are cold...do you rebed them from time to time(on the same pads/rotors,not street and race pads) and how often or do you bed them once and forget about them?

·
Banned
28,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it depends on how abrasive the pads are. If you drive round on the street with track orientated pads below their operating temperature it will "clean" the rotors up so to speak. I've never had an issue with Hawk HP+ doing that, and i daily drove the pads for 20,000 miles.

However, the video does explain that when people start hearing the pads squeal then that's normally that the transfer layer is inconsistent and they need to be bedded in again.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
very good thread, something i never knew! i always knew the proper bed in procedure but i never knew it was something that needed to be maintained. thanks robert for the find!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts