8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. My car is coming up on 1 year old (in 8 days) and will have just over 18K on it. I have yet to get an alignment. I have heard from the folks who did it on my RSX to get one every 10-15K miles. Had to take this with a grain of salt since it's their job to sell alignments. I read all 6 pages of "alignment" posts on here and found someone who does this for a living and said he does 15-20 alignments a day. He said it should be done every 15-20K miles.

I check my tire wear every time the dealership puts it on the lift to do an oil change but this is obviously a reactive measure to bad alignment rather than proactive. So how long did/do you all wait until you get one done? I think my time is coming very very soon. Also, wheel balance. Does it need to be checked ever or on a regular interval?

I've experienced the results of both bad alignment and wheel-out-of-balance so I know what to look for. I just would rather do something about it before anything happens.

Thanks!

EDIT: And for what it's worth I do a lot of highway driving (obviously). Not sure if that matters...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hey everyone. My car is coming up on 1 year old (in 8 days) and will have just over 18K on it. I have yet to get an alignment. I have heard from the folks who did it on my RSX to get one every 10-15K miles. Had to take this with a grain of salt since it's their job to sell alignments. I read all 6 pages of "alignment" posts on here and found someone who does this for a living and said he does 15-20 alignments a day. He said it should be done every 15-20K miles.

I check my tire wear every time the dealership puts it on the lift to do an oil change but this is obviously a reactive measure to bad alignment rather than proactive. So how long did/do you all wait until you get one done? I think my time is coming very very soon. Also, wheel balance. Does it need to be checked ever or on a regular interval?

I've experienced the results of both bad alignment and wheel-out-of-balance so I know what to look for. I just would rather do something about it before anything happens.

Thanks!

EDIT: And for what it's worth I do a lot of highway driving (obviously). Not sure if that matters...
Since you live in OH, you have potholes... I know this because my ex-wife's grandparents lived there. I'd do alignments once a year after the winter is over and the road crews begin their summer-long task of getting roads ready for next winter would be a good gauge to use.

Anthony "Mario" Crea
NNJR-SCCA

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't get me started. I pretty much drive the same route to work every day and right outside of my office is a slight S curve and it's FULL of potholes. There's 1 narrow path along this S curve that is 1/2 way in each lane and if you follow this, you won't hit the pot holes. I go VERY slow and I stop when other cars are oncoming.

I really don't hit too many pot holes even though I'm in Ohio. I do hate them with a passion though.

·
Registered
714 Posts
if your car is not pulling to either side you are good......you get a wheel alignment if one of the following occurs......uneven tire wear, if you drop your car or if you change your suspension.......unless any of these occurs it is purely done on as need basis if you cra pulls to eithre side....chcek the tire throughly when you rotate them and look for uneven wera if you notice any variation in the wear on both front and rear of the same side then get the wheel alignment done...... if you notice the uneven wear only on one wheel then it might need a fresh balance........

Also do a quick sreach on teh web and study before you go out throwing money in unessary maintenance items....

·
Registered
363 Posts
if your car is not pulling to either side you are good......you get a wheel alignment if one of the following occurs......uneven tire wear, if you drop your car or if you change your suspension.......unless any of these occurs it is purely done on as need basis if you cra pulls to eithre side....chcek the tire throughly when you rotate them and look for uneven wera if you notice any variation in the wear on both front and rear of the same side then get the wheel alignment done...... if you notice the uneven wear only on one wheel then it might need a fresh balance........

Also do a quick sreach on teh web and study before you go out throwing money in unessary maintenance items....
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
i only got one in the past 3 years ive had my car and when i got it done my front toe was out a degree lol. i was amazed bit they do say you should get it every 15k or around there.

·
Administrator
71,988 Posts
i don't know about once a year. go ahead and get a lifetime alignment from your local place. get an alignment around the time you get new tires or do anything to your suspension. then get one if you feel the need to, or see odd wear in your tires. i guess once a year could work to keep in spec and have piece of mind. but have it aligned and then roll with it until you know you need one. but alignments are necessarily a scheduled thing.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
The manufacturers set these preventive maintenance checks on a schedule for a reason. It's not to make you pay more money or necessarily because your car needs to get an alignment, but really to catch anything before it becomes a more costly problem. I work on medical equipment, and it's the same thing for that. You do calibrations on most pieces every six months to a year and everytime you repair or replace them. 90% of the time the equipment is stays in cal, but you want to make sure you catch it if it does go out before it kills a patient. Just think of your car the same way, try and catch any small problems before they become large ones.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i do alignments all day as well for kauffman tire it is good to do it once a year to protect you susspension components but if you notice your tires wearing to much on the outside or inside you should get it checked but if your tires are wearing even then just do it once a year and you will be fine
Thanks man. Good to hear it coming from someone who does them for a living! :thumb:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I rotate my tires myself about every 4000 miles, and just check the wear. I also check tire pressure about every 2 wks. I don't get an alignment unless I see something or hear/feel something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts