8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
its the same length of pipe. plus the pipe is bigger. you may gain weight. the titanium exhausts save weight. with a normal cat-back it should be about the same.

·
Registered
636 Posts
my greddy was slightly lighter. This is because the piping itself is thinner and straighter but its not much difference. However the muffler was a lot lighter than the stock one but all in all I would be surprised if there is more than a 10 lbs difference between a stock and after market. Getting a race header will save you some weight because it eliminates the cat and that ting prolly weighs 25 lbs.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still curious to know. anyone know exactly what the stock si cat back weighs? a lightweight exhaust combined with some nice light weight wheels is a decent amount of unsprung weight reduction

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
still curious to know. anyone know exactly what the stock si cat back weighs? a lightweight exhaust combined with some nice light weight wheels is a decent amount of unsprung weight reduction
an exhaust is sprung weight, rims are unsprung weight...

light wait rims are an awesome addition to any car...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a dc header, greddy cat back, motegi track light rims (15 lbs), aluminum skunk 2 rear adjustable arms, aftermarket coilovers (weighs less) and I notice (drum roll) 0% diffrence in daily driving. I figure I have shaved about 50-60 lbs and maybe 1/2 of that is unsprung weight. These kinds of small savings can only be noticed on timed laps and in my opinion changes in ambient air temp would have more of an effect than 50 lbs.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Tell you what, I'm getting my TM exhaust this Friday (hopefully) and will be installing it over the weekend. If I think about it, I'll grab my bathroom scale once the stocker is off and weigh myself without and the with it if you want. LMK. Either way, like KingBob said, it won't really matter much, and exhausts really aren't mods purchased with weight savings in mind, unless you spend the money for titanium or something.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
how light do the rims have to be before you notice a performance gain?
I have an em2 also with 15" rota slipstreams and kumho ecstas the rims are 11 pounds a piece...I put them on after having 17's and the difference is tremendous...if you want lightweight rims, look into spoon sw388(I believe) or desmond regamasters the 16" weigh around 11 pounds...it helps every aspect brakes, suspension, acceleration.

I have a dc header, greddy cat back, motegi track light rims (15 lbs), aluminum skunk 2 rear adjustable arms, aftermarket coilovers (weighs less) and I notice (drum roll) 0% diffrence in daily driving. I figure I have shaved about 50-60 lbs and maybe 1/2 of that is unsprung weight. These kinds of small savings can only be noticed on timed laps and in my opinion changes in ambient air temp would have more of an effect than 50 lbs.
Yes you are absolutely correct...the difference is nominal especially when you don't do everything at once...but it is proven that weight reduction improves, lap times, 1/4 mile times.

I found this link to SS mag with info on weight reduction but the 2 points that are best...

100 lbs less weight = 1/10 of a sec of 1/4 mile

may not be tremendous, but if my money is on the line...I'd do it

18.18 lbs less weight = is the same as getting 1 hp...

again not tremendous but at this point if you shaved 60 lbs off your car this is the same as 3.1 hp...

one less mod for you to make!!

http://www.importtuner.com/features/0407it_weight_reduction_tips/index.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts