8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey you guys, this is a thread out of straight curiosity..

I've seen the Z plenty of times before, its nothing new, I've always loved it though but kinda accepted I probably couldn't afford it right now. Well, after going to the Philly Auto Show yesterday and checking that thing out more, I feel in love with that thing. After doing some research on them when I got home, they really are only about a grand off of what I paid for my Si.($28,700) I still owe about 17-18k on the Si and I think I might go to a Nissan dealer and just see what they'd give me and test drive the new 370.

Do you think it'd be feasible? I'm trying to keep my monthly payment around where it is now ($371-400) but I know its going to be a little bit of a "far off" thought.

Any feedback is appreciated.. :wavey:

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Hey you guys, this is a thread out of straight curiosity..

I've seen the Z plenty of times before, its nothing new, I've always loved it though but kinda accepted I probably couldn't afford it right now. Well, after going to the Philly Auto Show yesterday and checking that thing out more, I feel in love with that thing. After doing some research on them when I got home, they really are only about a grand off of what I paid for my Si.($28,700) I still owe about 17-18k on the Si and I think I might go to a Nissan dealer and just see what they'd give me and test drive the new 370.

Do you think it'd be feasible? I'm trying to keep my monthly payment around where it is now ($371-400) but I know its going to be a little bit of a "far off" thought.

Any feedback is appreciated.. :wavey:
i can almost guarentee you WONT get the Si paid off, then your gonna have to roll that onto the price of the car, probably around 4k or so ontop of the Z. and to get a 30k+ loan for 400 a month......good luck bud. Also why was your Si 28k???

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, like I said, its a "far off" thought..but I'm curious. I'll still probably do it for shits and giggles, by doing it I mean just going to see.

Uh, don't ask me why it was 28k. I felt it was a bit much also. '08 FG2 when they first came out, Special Ordered, Nav w/Fogs and HFP kit..after taxes and all that ****, it came to 28k

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Yeah, like I said, its a "far off" thought..but I'm curious. I'll still probably do it for shits and giggles, by doing it I mean just going to see.

Uh, don't ask me why it was 28k. I felt it was a bit much also. '08 FG2 when they first came out, Special Ordered, Nav w/Fogs and HFP kit..after taxes and all that ****, it came to 28k
yea i mean it wont hurt to see, but you also have to conisder insurance, i see your 19 and the insurance on a Z is gonna be ALOT more than an Si for someone your age.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Though I've got to say -- the new Z's are a dream to drive. A LOT better than the 350's. My uncle owns a Nissan Dealership, and when I'm down there visiting, I work on it for a little bit extra money. Basically, I wash cars, and move them around the lot. I get to drive the Z's though. :woowoo:

It's FAST too! A good bit faster than the 350. :thumb:

Though keep the Si. My cousin is also looking into a Z. Insurance for a teenager / young adult on one of those things is INSANE! You've already got the Si, and are working on paying it off. And you really can't argue with the insurance! (I'm paying $70 / month!). The Z was closer to $280 / month... :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, well, fortunately..my parents spoil me in that portion of a vehicle. Until I fvck it up that is.

Also, I kinda wanna go to see how much I'd be off because I'm willing to save up 2-3k if I can get close to a trade type situation where I could get the Z payment to the same as my Si.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes, well, fortunately..my parents spoil me in that portion of a vehicle. Until I fvck it up that is.

Also, I kinda wanna go to see how much I'd be off because I'm willing to save up 2-3k if I can get close to a trade type situation where I could get the Z payment to the same as my Si.
Keep in mind, you'd be losing 3 seats! My cousin has his mind fixed on a Z -- I keep trying to turn him away from it, because he gives his friends rides places all the time and it's only a 2-seater. If he ever does get one, I'll laugh so hard the first time a group of friends asks for a ride somewhere. :laughing:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Dude, I'd be MORE THAN HAPPY to lose 3 seats. People don't sit in my backs..they've been used twice in 6 months :)
:laughing:

Well, just my personal beliefs: A daily driver should be practical. Decent gas mileage, at least 4 seats (lets face it. You can't fit people in the middle of the back seat in the coupe), easy to drive...

...not a 2-seat sports car with little trunk space... :tap:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which is totally understandable..but I'm a college student who doesn't lug people around and if I do, its not with my car (OCD)

I've never used my backseat for anything. I originally wanted to buy the S2000 when I went to buy my Si but ehh, wasn't financially ready at that time. The 370 is easy to drive and gets exactly that, DECENT gas mileage.

Also, the only thing that goes in my trunk is my backpack :p

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Which is totally understandable..but I'm a college student who doesn't lug people around and if I do, its not with my car (OCD)

I've never used my backseat for anything. I originally wanted to buy the S2000 when I went to buy my Si but ehh, wasn't financially ready at that time. The 370 is easy to drive and gets exactly that, DECENT gas mileage.

Also, the only thing that goes in my trunk is my backpack :p
Your probably going to at least be upside down by 4-5 thousand so your going to have a 30,000+ loan depending on the finance rate they give you a rather large payment. Even is you spread that across 72 month's your looking at upper 400 if not low 500 (estimate) a month plus as mentioned before your insurance will most likely sky rocket. If you can afford both then I say go for it but I wouldn't over extend yourself (myself) just to drive a sweet car like the 370z. Remember, you already own a great vehicle! good luck! :dancing:

And btw.................Go Gators!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I totally understand that, I was thinking if I'm off from keeping the payment close to my Si payment by like 3-4k I'll just save up. I also understand that I have a great car, I love the thing. I'm not some egotistical maniac who needs the horsepower and torque of the Z but its a car I've been in love with since way before the Si, was just not affordable then. So, like I said..I'll take a shits and giggles run and check it out. I, by no means, have my hopes up.

And yes, thooooose Gators :bighug:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
From someone who was your age in a similiar situation, dont do it! I wish someone told me that lol You do not want to get yourself wrapped up in negative equity because you will just continue to roll it over from car to car.

For instance, say the Z is 30k then you roll 3k from the Civic over, thats 33k total for the Z. For now you wont think its anything because you will be happy with the monthly payment. However, when you go to get rid of the Z you will wish you didnt roll that 3k over. Im just making up numbers to get my point across but say the Z depreciates to 25k when you want to get rid of it, but you have only made 3k worth of payments. You'll now owe 30k on a car worth 25k, now forcing you to roll 5k over. The car generally drops value faster than the amount you are paying per month so unless you want to make higher payments than they require you will never get rid of that negative equity. You can do what you said, and put 3-4k down to clear some of the equity, but you are then basically paying for a car you dont have anymore.

Now if you plan to keep the Z and eventually pay it off, hell yea go for it. But im guessing since you are already getting rid of your Civic and most car loans are 4-6 years i doubt you'll be keeping the Z for the life of the loan.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I understand that. And as you've realized, yeah, it wouldn't seem like I'd stick with the Z but I would. I planned on sticking with the Si because I do love the Si, but if this opportunity is available, I'd like to jump on it. Like I said, I won't be disappointed either way, I'm just looking because c'mon now, who wouldn't want the 370 ;)

·
All Liver GSP's!
3,619 Posts
Your payment is not even going to be similar and unfortunetly you are likely not going to get payoff for your Si so tack that on the new loan as well. Your looking at like $100-$150 more per month than you are paying now.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
$600 a month but thats assuming he's getting a 4 year loan. A 30k car on a 6 year loan is closer to $400 a month. Will take longer to pay off but if he plans to keep it for that long then it wont matter. He'll pay more in long term interest but the money out of his pocket per month will be less and he'll have the car.

Yeah, I understand that. And as you've realized, yeah, it wouldn't seem like I'd stick with the Z but I would. I planned on sticking with the Si because I do love the Si, but if this opportunity is available, I'd like to jump on it. Like I said, I won't be disappointed either way, I'm just looking because c'mon now, who wouldn't want the 370 ;)
You think youll keep it, and you might but think of it this way... If you get a 5 year loan that means you're in that car for 5 years, think about some of the cars that have come out since 04 to now. You may love the Z now, but in 2012 who knows what will be out. I bought my first new car in 99, and since then have owned cars from model year 00, 02, 04, 05, 06, and now an 08 lol And most of those i intended on keeping longer than i did but just ended up tired of them and wanted something new again.

I certainly dont want to discourage you in any way from at least checking it out. Hell, its a buyers market for sure so go and see what they say and if you are comfortable with the deal then go for it. If you are sitting there unsure and dont feel its really a great deal then i wouldnt do it. Thats a luxury of looking at a new car when you have a fairly new car, even if you walk out you still have a nice car.

Also, i see you are 19 so whats your situation with work? Do you work full time? Going to school? Do you live at home now? You could want to move out and not be stuck with a high car payment. As someone else mentioned, im sure insurance will be more for that car too so factor that in. Also willing to bet the Z burns gas faster than an Si so keep that in mind since gas prices have slowly been on the rise again and im sure will be higher in the summer.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
Bad idea. End of story. You obviously aren't a business major at UF.
Your young. Your tastes will change. You'll get the 370z and think it's the best thing in the world, until 2012 when the 390z comes out (speculation, but get the point instead of shunning everyone down).
You already made a huge mistake by paying $28k for a $21k car, even if it came with extra's - you paid an unnecessarily large surplus because it came from the dealer like that.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
At 30k your looking at $600 a month. I have noticed the market for an SI civic here is a little low. I am currently trying to sell mine for $15k and havent gotten any hits yet.
Thats what I'm saying though, it wouldn't be a 30k loan. 1) I'd be doing a 5 year 2) I'd hope to get more than what I owe on the Si, use that as down + maybe save up 3-4k.

I certainly dont want to discourage you in any way from at least checking it out. Hell, its a buyers market for sure so go and see what they say and if you are comfortable with the deal then go for it. If you are sitting there unsure and dont feel its really a great deal then i wouldnt do it. Thats a luxury of looking at a new car when you have a fairly new car, even if you walk out you still have a nice car.

Also, i see you are 19 so whats your situation with work? Do you work full time? Going to school? Do you live at home now? You could want to move out and not be stuck with a high car payment. As someone else mentioned, im sure insurance will be more for that car too so factor that in. Also willing to bet the Z burns gas faster than an Si so keep that in mind since gas prices have slowly been on the rise again and im sure will be higher in the summer.
I work part time but its a weird situation. Put it this way, 10 hours a week, $900+ a month. Helps having an "in" :thumb: I don't live at home, but I go to a community college and have in state so that PLUS my rent is less then 10k a year (parents pay that) and gas isn't an issue. Also, I love my car..I've put over 5k in the thing already. I'm not trashing the Si at all, everytime I drive it, I have a smile on my face.

i hope u got a mugen cause si's or like 21,000
'08 FG2 when they first were coming out. It was special ordered. Navi. Fogs. HFP kit. 21 is baseline.

On another note, as people read this, they might get the wrong impression of me. I'm not the typical 19 year old teenager who takes **** for granted. My parents don't buy me everything nor pay for everything even though it may seem that way. Lets just say that have spoiled me differently because of what has happened in our lives.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.