8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm planing to buy wheels from US.
i had some research and finally i concluded buying from US is little cheaper.
but heres is customs fee issue.
how much the customs fee will be on $700 wheels(including shipping price)??
any idea??
please let me know
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
30,957 Posts
depending on which company they use the price can be different i have heard the ups is the worse for duties

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
Duties are all the same, the Government collects those, what you are worried about are the brokerage fees. You can broker your own shipments. It's not difficult. Just some paper work, and you're done.

Ups is the worst for Bokerage fees, nothing to do with Duties.

You can check the Government site to see if they list what duties are on what goods.

·
Registered
267 Posts
btw wat are brokerage fees, I always notice I have to pay them but I dunno what they are.

How do I go about doing it myself?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
brokerage fee is the service charge the shipping company tacks on. it's for the service of bringing your package across the border and filling out all paperwork required.

it's possible to avoid brokerage, by going to customs and declaring the item yourself. i'm not familar with the process, but i'm sure someone here has done it!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
most companies seem to ship large items via UPS, which blows goats as they will take their cut of the pie with a bogus brokerage fee. PUSH for USPS or even FedEx, if possible.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Ok, I'm in a similar boat as well. I'm thinking of buying rims from Japan and getting them shipped to Canada but I'm not too sure how much the duties/taxes will be. The rims themselves will be about $1600USD. I tried looking at the CDN gov't site but I kept getting errors on their page (go figure). Anyone know if i'll just have to pay the 14% or whatever or will I get raped on other charges?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
hey jon,

you can try shipping to package receiving companies in buffalo like.. www.cbiusa.com

they will accept packages for you... just drive down there and pick it up...

the bad part is, u need to go down there in person to setup an account.

it's $6/package.... pretty deals if u ask me.

·
Registered
998 Posts
hey jon,

you can try shipping to package receiving companies in buffalo like.. www.cbiusa.com

Thanks Willen,

The company I'll be ordering from actually ships to Canada but I just need to know about the duties that I can expect to pay.

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Japanese companies I find generally use Global Messenger Service or something. It's connected with Canada Post in the end. If that happens, you can be sure to pay GST, but not brokerage fees. Idk specifically though, its an estimate. I used to get my headphones through audiocubes and they got delivered that way.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Japanese companies I find generally use Global Messenger Service or something. It's connected with Canada Post in the end. If that happens, you can be sure to pay GST, but not brokerage fees. Idk specifically though, its an estimate. I used to get my headphones through audiocubes and they got delivered that way.
Thanks for the input. Yes, the company does use the Japanese equivalent of CanadaPost so it will eventually end up going through them. If GST is all I'll have to pay then I'll be saving a bundle from ordering the rims from Japan as opposed to a reseller here.

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
hey jon,

+1
A lot of us in Greater Vancouver get stuff shipped to the border and pop across to pick it up. The shipping rate is cheaper, you don't pay any dubious "brokering" fees on top of that and when paying GST and PST at border crossing they're likely to skip bothering with any customs/duty charges.
I realize TO to Buffalo is further than we have to go, but for higher priced items its still gotta be worth it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
+1
A lot of us in Greater Vancouver get stuff shipped to the border and pop across to pick it up. The shipping rate is cheaper, you don't pay any dubious "brokering" fees on top of that and when paying GST and PST at border crossing they're likely to skip bothering with any customs/duty charges.
I realize TO to Buffalo is further than we have to go, but for higher priced items its still gotta be worth it.
1000 posts!!!

ya, buffalo is a about 1.5hrs away.... + the wait times at the border... but if u get a few ppl to go... make it a 1 or 2 day trip... it's worth it.

i ordered so much stuff online and having it shipped to buffalo... i can't wait to go pickup my stuff...

·
Registered
54 Posts
hey jon,

In addition to this, if the shipper ships the item via UPS, you can have it shipped to the UPS Store in buffalo. They charge $15 to hold the package for a week, so it'll give you some time to pick it up if necessary.

I bought the HPF kit, had it shipped to the UPS Store, installed it in their parking lot, and drove back home free of duties and taxes. :biggrin:

·
Registered
998 Posts
In addition to this, if the shipper ships the item via UPS, you can have it shipped to the UPS Store in buffalo. They charge $15 to hold the package for a week, so it'll give you some time to pick it up if necessary.

I bought the HPF kit, had it shipped to the UPS Store, installed it in their parking lot, and drove back home free of duties and taxes. :biggrin:
LOL I'm planning to do the exact same thing! But if my package is coming from Japan is it really necessary to go through the states? Do you guys think I'll be saving any money by going through the states first and then bringing it across the border?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

dude, that's pretty deals.... i might need to do that.

i didn't know it was THAT easy to install?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts