1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
i'm on 9psi but you can go a bit more, depends on the tune

·
Registered
344 Posts
its all in the tune. that being said, pump gas with a high compression ratio does have it's limitations.

400-450whp is a safe limit. with a good tune and no mechanical failures, the motor should last a very long time at those power levels.

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
there are quite a few guys running 15-17 psi on their stock blocks with various turbos/manifolds. the tune and what fuel its tuned on will determine how much boost you can run. Nobody has popped a motor yet from running too much boost. unfortunately it will take someone blowing there stuff to find the limit.

side note- i like how the ebay manifold guy is a friggin expert on boosting this motor all of sudden lolololol.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i like how you don't know who i am and I don't understand why you're giving me a hard time.

(I'm a mechanical engineer FYI)

was anything i said untrue thus far? i stated what a safe limit on any pump gas motor is with a 11.0+ static compression ratio. 93 octane fuel only has so much resistance to detonation.

my higher compression s2000 motor made 500whp on pump gas. thats kind of pushing it. i wouldn't recommend it unless you know the chance you are taking by doing so.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I also stated without mechanical failure, because some things are out of your control.
K series has a much better oil pump design than B series (chain driven pump won't shatter a gear due to harmonic vibration like the B's suffer) so you don't really have to worry about an oil pump failure.

But something like a failed wastegate (which would cause boost spike) could pop a motor. again there are precautions such as setting up boost comp tables and using a boost cut.

Injector failure is always possible and pretty common with aftermarket injectors.
Using a high quality injector such as the Injector Dynamics will help rule this out as well. I've seen stories of even brand new RC injectors not being flow matched, which will cause some cylinders to run leaner than others. most tuners dont tune on the edge and allow for something like this, but again, when you are pushing the motor to the limit you may run into problems. Hondata does not allow for individual cylinder tuning, as a standalone does. But unless you are monitoring EGT's at the exit of each cylinder port, you don't know which is running leaner/richer.

Fuel pump failure, such as the 255 intanks, sometimes do some weird things. constantly running your car low on gas kills the walbros pretty quickly, and other times the pumps slowly die and don't provide enough fuel, which, as you could imagine, under boost is a bad thing.

theres more but i dont feel like typing it all out lol

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know bout that i meant

which turbo and whats psi did you guys use to achieve whatever hp it was that you achieved

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
sox gt2871r/fr mani 17psi making 402+ dynapack
mucter gt3071r/greddy mani 15-17psi 400+ eDyno
gmh gt3076r/fr 15psi 450 dynojet
fathom18 gt3076r/fr 15pump/17race gas 460(i think)/570 dynapack
me gt2871r/tsi mani 20+ e85/hg 371 dynojet

I'm sure there are a few other guys pushing the boost levels

·
Registered
344 Posts
on a stock f20c i made 489whp at 16lbs using a 60-1, stage 5 wheel
this was on the dyno on a 90+ degree day, IATs were up there. it easily puts down 500+ on a cooler day.
93 octane mind you. race gas, i believe Rob! has the record at 772whp on a stock internal motor with a 3mm HG.

I know it's a different motor, but the z3 flows very well in stock form, plus it has ivtec which has a much greater midrange torque. This just goes to show you it's all in the tune.

so anything is possible :D

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
how much boost do you think i need to run on the base turbo for the full race kit to hit 400hp? its the t3/04e 57 trim

·
Registered
42,510 Posts
That's something you should talk with your tuner, but why go with that turbo? Why not a GT2871 like Mike? He hit 402...so I don't think you'll be able to hit that with the T3/T4

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
the t3t04e is a great turbo, it doesn't spool as quick as a 2871 but it definitely will hit 400whp. I think its noob who has that turbo on his fr kit, i would ask him that question.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts