8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
:facepalm:

Ive dont this about 5 times on this civic. EVERY time its taken 3 or better.

unless your arent letting all of it drain out or are low on oil to begin with then yeah less comes out.

this dude

·
Registered
606 Posts
which is not enough.
Says who?

OP, there has been countless arguments about whether a single drain/fill is sufficient or if the "flush" procedure is required. The best thing you can do is call your dealer and ask their change procedure. If you get the same answer I do, you will need 3 quarts since a single drain and fill is what the dealer does. The only thing documented in the service manual for an ATF change is a single drain and fill, but you can do whatever makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
37,355 Posts
:facepalm:

some people sing the same song all day long....

what make you think 1 drain-fill IS enough. my dealer uses a machine to flush out ALL of the oil in 1 shot and charges $99 for it.

so is that the correct way to do ? obviously not according to hondas own service bulletins.

·
Registered
606 Posts
read the second sentence on that article " it NOT listed in the s/m's "

so what service manual are you speaking of
Shop Manual*(HONDA MOTOR Co.,Ltd.)

The flush procedure is not listed because it's for "SOME A/T REPAIR PROCEDURES" and NOT the change procedure. Get it through your thick skulls. I did not write the book, don't blame me, but also please do not listen to a bunch of random people on the Internet that think they know what's best for your car. Why don't you change your oil every 1k, your ATF every 3k, and your brake fluid every 6 months. You can... probably won't hurt... but NOT NECESSARY. If they never released that bulletin until 2008, how were you going to change your ATF? How'd you do it before 2008? If you want to do things differently, go right ahead, but I believe this bulletin should've never made it to the general public. It's very misleading.

And just in case you have trouble finding the correct ATF Replacement procedure, here's the link:

http://razvilka.no-ip.info/civic/Sh...06/A00/HTML/3P/SNB6E3PE10400013001KBAT00.HTML

·
Registered
606 Posts
:facepalm: x2
I understand, I really do. I was just as surprised as you are when they told me a single drain every 30k is more than sufficient, and even that was the "severe" schedule they told me. I guess since I'm in a warm climate. I don't know if we're just underestimating our A/T or what, but the real answer is, do what makes you feel better. Same reason I put M1 in my car; it probably won't make it last longer with my driving habits and maintenance schedule, but I like to think it will.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Instead of giving up, why don't you call your dealer and report back what they're change procedure is. I really am curious to know if you're different. Is anyone willing to take 2 minutes to offer this information? Heck, what area are you in, I'll do it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts