8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2010 Redline Orange Pearl si and I was wondering how many quarts of oil does the k20z3 take? I was also going to use Royal Purple Syn on the car with a K&N oil filter. Any suggestions guys?

·
Registered
809 Posts
im starting to hear negative stuff about royal purple. i say your better off with mobil1

youll be fine witht he k&n

also the amount of qts should be in your manual

·
Registered
809 Posts
I use Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic all the way, with NAPA filter. Works awesome. And its a full 5L jog that the car takes. 4.5L is for the 1.8L engines. Our 2.0L engines take 5L. Put 4.5L in ours, won't even go to full mark.

·
Registered
35,568 Posts
I use Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic all the way, with NAPA filter. Works awesome. And its a full 5L jog that the car takes. 4.5L is for the 1.8L engines. Our 2.0L engines take 5L. Put 4.5L in ours, won't even go to full mark.
its 3.8, i put in an even 4

·
Registered
6,518 Posts
All of yous are wrong...

... It takes exactly 11.482 qts.

I mean seriously - how many times does this have to be asked?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I just bought a new 2010 Redline Orange Pearl siand I was wondering how many quarts of oil does the k20z3 take?
So much specificity! Can we have your VIN number for a more accurate quart amount requirement as well, please? Would have been funny if you were like "Yeah I just bought a new 2010 ROP Si Sedan... How much oil does the 2.2L Ecotec engine take?"
:vtec:

...but seriously, Mobil 1 Oil & Oil Filter.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
If you want to go to the "MAX" mark, not "FULL" mark, add...
4.5 qt for R18
5 qt for K20

You're supposed to keep it between the MIN and MAX marks. If you want do do it correctly, follow the manual.

·
Registered
28,320 Posts
Per the Honda service manual :

K20Z3

@ oil change :
4.2L (4.4 US qt)
@ oil change including filter :
4.4L (4.6 US qt)
After engine overhaul :
5.5L (5.8 US qt)

R18

@ oil change :
3.5L (3.7 US qt)
@ oil change including filter :
3.7L (3.9 US qt)
After engine overhaul :
4.5L(4.8 US qt

·
Registered
28,320 Posts
:facepalm:

BTW, your car is not special. It gets the same parts as everybody elses car from the factory.

*Disclaimer I: Readers of posts on the internet may read a condescending tone that was unintended by the author and have hurt feelings when no malice exists. Author will try very hard in the future to make sure any intended condescension and malice are therefore painfully obvious. Please reread above post inserting soft soothing voice before becoming offended.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Despite what the manual says, I put a good 5.5quarts. This only gets me to the "MIN" mark but after warming up the car so the oil can expand, the oil rises to right in the middle of "MIN" and "MAX".

·
Registered
227 Posts
Despite what the manual says, I put a good 5.5quarts. This only gets me to the "MIN" mark but after warming up the car so the oil can expand, the oil rises to right in the middle of "MIN" and "MAX".
You must be doing something wrong if 5.5 only puts you at the MIN line. 5.5 should put you past the MAX line. You are either not parked on a level surface or you are not allowing enough time for the oil to settle. The reason your oil level goes up after you run the car is because it has not settled enough. It did not expand.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts