8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since i hear that 5-20 isn't that great since it tends to put more wear in the engine i was thinking about using 5-30. any one use it

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
your supposed to use 30
In the R18 the recommended weight is 5w20.

Bulli Kid, I haven't heard that about 5w20. What is your source? I'm just wondering because I have never heard that. I used 5w20 in my RSX and now use it in my Civic EX with no problems so far.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've been using 5w-30 in my R18. I would've gone with the recommended 5w-20 but couldn't find any for cheap. Bought a case of Castrol GTX non-synthetic because it was on sale at Kragen. I change it every 4k, regardless of what the oil life indicator reads. No issues.

·
Registered
838 Posts
5w30 wil be alright for both models IMO. Infact I thin kif you live in climates where it reaches over 100 during certain time of the year, you shoudl run 5w30.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Does anybody spend 15k-20k on a car and then READ the owners manual?
ha. ! +1. That's one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. It's true. I spend 30 bucks on a toaster and I RTFM. But then I buy a car and don't.

Re: oil. My 2 oil changes I've done at the honda dealership and I assume they're using what's best.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I usually use 5w-20 Mobil 1. But my last oil change, I put in 5w-30 Mobil 1 EP. The injectors seems more audible.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
My dealerships don't seem to discriminate. Si or R18, they put 5W-20 in. It has happened to me twice at Richfield-Bloomington Honda even after I asked them to put 5W-30 in the car at least seven times.

I told them that I would no longer be coming to their dealership for any services because they can't even get the right oil in the right car, so how I am supposed to expect them to do anything else correctly.

Fools.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
My dealerships don't seem to discriminate. Si or R18, they put 5W-20 in. It has happened to me twice at Richfield-Bloomington Honda even after I asked them to put 5W-30 in the car at least seven times.

I told them that I would no longer be coming to their dealership for any services because they can't even get the right oil in the right car, so how I am supposed to expect them to do anything else correctly.

Fools.
how can you tell what kind of oil they put in??? or is it just a sticker or sum crap like that?

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
how can you tell what kind of oil they put in??? or is it just a sticker or sum crap like that?
I look on the receipt. I go through documentation with a fine toothed comb anymore.

It's been twice now that Richfield-Bloomington Honda (and once at Van's Honda Mitsubishi in Green Bay, Wisconsin) has put 5W-20 in my car. I am aware that there is very little difference aside from oil viscosity between 20 and 30, however, I want what Honda says to put in it used.

My first oil change, at Richfield-Bloomington, I went in, and said at least a dozen times to the manager, "Please use 5W-30". He said "No problem, of course, that's what the Si takes!" I thought it would be fine.

I got the receipt back and it said that they used 5W-20. Well, I called them up and told them that this was unacceptable, and that the R18 uses 5W-20, and the Si uses 5W-30. The man told me that they don't often get Hondas that require 30 in the shop, so the cashier usually just hits 20.

This was unacceptable to me. I keep accurate documentation in the event I sell the car, and I want it reflected correctly. He said that 30 was probably used, but to come back and they'll test it.

I went back the next day, and they tested it and sure enough, they used 5W-20. They didn't say sorry, but they drained and refilled it at no charge.

No harm, no foul, though I was a bit irritated.

The next time, however, which was just a month ago or so, I went back. I specified 5W-30 again, and sure enough, they used 5W-20. I was irate, at this point. I told the man that this was the second time this dealership has done this to my car.

"The cap says use 5W-30. The manual says 5W-30. You have a sign that says 'No one knows your Honda better!', yet you can't even get the right oil in my car, even AFTER I asked you."

He told me the same excuse as last time, and I said "Yeah, I've heard that before." He then said, "Well, we'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time and test it."

I said, "This is not my error, you are not giving me the benefit of the doubt. You will test the oil at your own expense, and put the correct oil in my car. You can rest assured that this will be my last time visiting your dealership for any services. How do you expect me to trust you to do work on my car if you can't even use the right oil."

1 - 20 of 34 Posts