8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

How many are you guys daily driving with a cold air intake?

28K views 64 replies 53 participants last post by  Sinycal 
#1 ·
Just ordered a flashpro/skunk2 intake.

Just curious how many of you guys are running a cold air on your daily driver?

Thanks

#35 ·
Been driving with a Fujita CAI (Discontinued) for about 2-3 years now. There was 1 year where I took it off for a while and put it back on the next year.

In terms of rain, I drove it multiple times during the harshest rain and it was always fine. (Then again I live in SoCal where the harshest rain doesn't really exist lol)

In terms of puddles, these are where I do, still till this day, get a little paranoid only because my CAI extends all the way down to right behind the fog lights on the driver-side. I usually just drive super duper slow and angled going through deep puddles. If your CAI reaches similarly, make sure you have the plastic underbody! Cuz I know some people remove it for better air flow.

In general though, you should be fine. I mean it seems like the majority of people here have also had no problems DDing with a CAI.

#39 ·
I managed to hydrolock my motor while running an Injen cai with hydro shield. It was raining Heavily, but I did not drive though any deep puddles. My fender liner was somewhat damaged, which probably contributed to it. If you run a CAI, I would suggest you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle.

BTW now running an HR CAI on motor number 2.

#40 ·
Uh I dont think comprehensive would cover that kind of damage. Unless you tried removing the intake after the fact and trying to pass it off as happening with the factory piece. Because the issue would be blamed on the piece you decide to modify and would be considered negligence. I dont think your insurance company would be too thrilled about paying for it..

#43 ·
Been on a CAI for 1 year (I purchased my Si with it) and have had 0 problems with it hydrolocking even when it does rain here in Southern California.

I did have some tire rub however solved the issue with adjusting the piping around a bit.
I am getting a wider wheel setup soon, hopefully wont have any rubbing issues then.
I don't want to go back to a SRI, the cold air feels much more responsive and bogs a hell of a lot less.

#48 ·
I have always run CAIs on my cars. Short rams are usually no better (even worse) than the stock systems, and I've never had issues with hydrolocking. On the other hand, I also never try to drive through deep water. Tropical storm levels of rainfall haven't been an issue though, and that's with highway speeds. As long as the intake isn't directly exposed on the front bumper, there's almost no chance of hydrolocking in rainfall. Additionally a lot of intakes have water bypass systems just in case.

#54 ·
As long as your not a dumbass going through knee deep puddles, you'll be fine lol. Some cai even have by pass for when the filter does get submerged. Also about the hydro shield, it doesn't really work like you may think. If the filter get submerged, the shield will not protect it from getting water sucked into the intake. It may deter splashes of water onto the filter but that's about it.

#55 · (Edited)
I did with the AEM V1... was installed by previous owner. I almost hydrolocked my engine twice (stalled twice). First time... forgot all about it and went in for a car wash with my friend's season pass. As I pulled out of the car wash and started on my way, it started chocking on the residual water in the intake. I guess one could simply avoid this by driving slowly for the first little while. Second time, on the highway when it was pouring out! I was even positioned in the lane with the least amount of water in order to avoid it. I had bought a hydro-shield for it after the first car-wash incident but it didn't work wonders... though it did help. I'm sure one could build a splash shield for the filter in the bumper space behind the foglight. Also mind you, I had no bypass. Went turbo in the meantime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.