8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone run the CAI's without tuning? Im wanting a CAI, I dont think ill ever get an exhaust or headers or anything just a CAI. I have a 2011 Si as a daily so If i dont need to spend $600-$700 on a flashpro then im not going to. I'll I see is people freaking out about not having flashpro first before an intake though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a thought to combine the stock intake with the skunk2 CAI. Since the stock intake has a scoop and prevents water from entering, why couldn't you wedge the skunk 2 CAI piping and filter into that?? So basically you are still getting the cold air from below the engine bay but dont have to put the filter so low to the ground.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i've driven through heavy rain (and i mean heavy, HEAVY) with no problems. the only dangerous situation is when the water level is at the filter cone (aprox. 15-20 cm height).

·
Registered
142 Posts
to my above post.. i tried doing that but would have to get custom piping.. love my skunk2 cai though with clean install

·
Registered
279 Posts
Are u running a calibration ?
Well the ecu has been reflashed because of the upgrades made. Injen intake and vibrant street race header and pipe all the way back. I don't know who or how it was done because I bought the car from a good friend. The guy he bought it from upgraded the car right after purchasing new. From what I have read you do need some sort of flash tune.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well the ecu has been reflashed because of the upgrades made. Injen intake and vibrant street race header and pipe all the way back. I don't know who or how it was done because I bought the car from a good friend. The guy he bought it from upgraded the car right after purchasing new. From what I have read you do need some sort of flash tune.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Gotcha, just got done data logging my intake and no knocks ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
previous owner had it installed about three years ago and no issues, I've had it for about 5 months and not issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been driving with a Fujita CAI (Discontinued) for about 2-3 years now. There was 1 year where I took it off for a while and put it back on the next year.

In terms of rain, I drove it multiple times during the harshest rain and it was always fine. (Then again I live in SoCal where the harshest rain doesn't really exist lol)

In terms of puddles, these are where I do, still till this day, get a little paranoid only because my CAI extends all the way down to right behind the fog lights on the driver-side. I usually just drive super duper slow and angled going through deep puddles. If your CAI reaches similarly, make sure you have the plastic underbody! Cuz I know some people remove it for better air flow.

In general though, you should be fine. I mean it seems like the majority of people here have also had no problems DDing with a CAI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been running a custom (read: bought one that was too crappy, had to cut to fit) CAI with a K&N filter for about a year now with no problems. I've probably put 30k miles on it since I installed it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I managed to hydrolock my motor while running an Injen cai with hydro shield. It was raining Heavily, but I did not drive though any deep puddles. My fender liner was somewhat damaged, which probably contributed to it. If you run a CAI, I would suggest you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle.

BTW now running an HR CAI on motor number 2.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Uh I dont think comprehensive would cover that kind of damage. Unless you tried removing the intake after the fact and trying to pass it off as happening with the factory piece. Because the issue would be blamed on the piece you decide to modify and would be considered negligence. I dont think your insurance company would be too thrilled about paying for it..

21 - 40 of 64 Posts