8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fuel wise that is.

Many a country trip (and i do a lot of country driving) i have taken far away from petrol stations and have seen the low fuel indicator come on.(2 Bars)

I usually start to conserve (give up on the "fun" driving) and drive slower and in a higher gear to save as much fuel as i can as stations are far and between. (In the city i drive normal when this happens as fuel is plentiful at every turn)

The farthest i have gone is 30 some Km after the last bar has disappeared.
(all out panic as i have only once been that guy on the side of the road with the newly bought Jerry can putting gas into my tank and swore it would never be me again.) (It was another brand of car that ran dry)

So how low can YOU go?

Edit** For those who have run out of gas in the 8th gen. How far did you get after there were no more bars? :):)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Happened to me the other day. I had no bars left, I had to go about 13 miles to school, I got about 10 miles before I got off the highway and put some Gas in it. I'd rather be a little late, than be very late and run out of Gas.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i run it down to 0 bars all the time. i milk it.
How far have you gone?

I try to keep topped up all the time but i drive 100 plus Km a day and every now and then it sneaks up on me.

I'm tempted to put a jerry can of gas in the trunk this weekend and drive till i'm dry. (I drive a lot with the pooch in the country on the weekends scouting out good hiking spots)

Everything mechanical in life has been tested to failure.
Sometimes we have to learn limits from bad experiences and i'd like to either get others (you all on this site) experiences or do a controlled (fuel in the trunk) test to determine when i should get worried about a dry tank. (Yes i have a lot of free time and money:thumb:)

Some cars i have owned conked after 0-10km when the needle landed (the one i ended up pouring gas into on the side of the road) and others have gone 50 way plus Km.

I guess you never really know until it happens.:dancing:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i do 99% city. i work 3 miles from home, so it is back and forth, back and forth. i average 250. 275 if i am nice. 300 if i don't have fun. i have done 400 something with all freeway before.
Sorry, i meant... How far have you gone with no bars left on the gaso meter?

·
Administrator
71,988 Posts
ohhhh, gotcha. well since we get 21 mpg.....i usually don't press my luck any more than 15-20 miles. i get down to 0 bars....and then start thinking...where is the nearest shell.....and i go there, before i drive more than about 15 miles. and i still can only ever put 12.5 gallons back in. i know there is still a half gallon in there. so i can potentially go 25 miles or so without any bars. don't quote me on that though. don't want to be the reason you are stuck out in the boonies one night with no gas.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ohhhh, gotcha. well since we get 21 mpg.....i usually don't press my luck any more than 15-20 miles. i get down to 0 bars....and then start thinking...where is the nearest shell.....and i go there, before i drive more than about 15 miles. and i still can only ever put 12.5 gallons back in. i know there is still a half gallon in there. so i can potentially go 25 miles or so without any bars. don't quote me on that though. don't want to be the reason you are stuck out in the boonies one night with no gas.
Thanks Steve. I'll have to do the conversion as we are all in the metric side of the continent, but the most Liters i have ever pumped into my SI was (almost) 46L (just shy) after i drove it almost 30k past the no bar deal. all 6th gear doing near 80 Kph)

**Looked it up and it's just over of 12 gallons Steve*

If you drive yours .5g longer than myself (which you do), you're way in the red! lol! I'll bust for a jerry can on your next B-day brother.:thumb: I suppose if you go that low once then why not keep it up as then you know your limit. Good stuff.

I'm going to snap a shot (photograph) of my Km at zero(reset when last light goes) and my gas bar at zero(when it happens) this weekend or next (as i filled the tank tonight and may not drive that much this weekend to test) and see how far i get on my regular driving style.

I'll put a few bucks in my lawnmower jerry can for when i burp out. The fermented grass clippings and mouse nests that are stuck to the sides add HUGE octane gains to boot, so it's a win win.:thumb:

I'll post when i do it for fun and info for all those who have freaked when there's not a station in sight and you're running low.

I need to do it for myself too.

Cheers

Mike Oxbig

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I haven't tested my baby to see exactly how low I can take her on low gas but it might be a good idea to find out! I normally fill up every time I'm at a quarter tank, I should find out though just in case! :wheee:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
not worthy getting the trouble... just fill before it reach ZERO........

/close thread why? pointless topic. sorry :lock:
This post makes no seance to me? Not a coherent sentence or even a string of 3 words put together that make any seance for that matter. Thanks for stopping in though.

Sorry if you don't like to learn from others experiences or push something non breakable to it's limit. It's important for myself and some others to know this limit.

It'll determine how hard i try to find fuel when i accidentally hit zero bars on my register. I don't like guessing or not knowing for sure.

Mike Oxbig

1 - 20 of 23 Posts