8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am getting the hood, roof, trunk, fenders and quarter panels repainted and would like to know when is safe to take it to the car wash without damaging it.

A quick search on the internet some say can wash it right away, some 30 days, others 60 and even 90 days to let paint fully cure.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Once You received your car back from shops nowadays you can bet your chips its cured, they are now using ovens to help speed up curing process; but back to your question if you can wash your car? You can I wouldn't suggest blasting away with an high pressure hose just because the car is newly painted but a garden hose is just fine, after a month it's fine to do what you are pleased. This is just from my experience with my cars and working as an Mechanic for 4.5 years now Hope this helps

·
Registered
392 Posts
You should be ok to wash your car normally, as stated above, if baked in an oven, the paint and clear should be hard enough.

buffing, waxing, sealing: that's another story. I believe that's the 30/60/90 rumors you been hearing as the paint and clear need to air out and what ever else, but that might be old paint technology. Best bet is to ask the shop what they recommend for the paint products they used. When I got mine repaired from an accident, the shop already had it waxed and ready when I picked it up.

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
Just spray it with the hose for the first month at least.

Don't wipe it with anything (rag, brush, etc) for 30 days.

·
Registered
875 Posts
For just a wash I'd probably wait a week or two. For waxing/sealant I would, and did, wait 3 months for my car.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will ask the body shop when get it back in a couple days.

I live in an apartment building so can't wash it myself by hand and have to use car wash which I don't like much because scratches cars, uses recycled water, rough towels, etc... but got no choice.

There is a hand car wash but is $15 for exterior only.

Thanks for the advise guys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was told by a body shop recently to wait at least 2 months before waxing. It allows the fresh paint to "breathe" Other than that, he said just no high pressure washes for a couple months as well!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Once You received your car back from shops nowadays you can bet your chips its cured, they are now using ovens to help speed up curing process
Baking is pretty standard in body shops today. Personally, I would wait like you said. Even though the paint job was baked, solvents will still be escaping afterwards. I believe that technically enough of the solvents would have evaporated through baking. But, I would still wait around a month before waxing. (I tend to be a more cautious person).

You can wash the day the cars was painted considering you are careful. No brushes. Just make sure your towels and rags are free of junk. I've seen a leaf stem scratch a day old paint job.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just got my car repainted due to a basketball hoop falling on it. I was told a week. But I will probably wait a month or two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts