8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting a CEL so i left the battery disconnected and now its gone.
How long do i wait before i can scan for codes? Also is it necessary to drive around to get codes? its not giving anything right now but I know there is something wrong.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
dude, don't disconnect the battery it's a bad idea, i know people one here love to go around and tell you that everything can be fixed by disconnecting the battery. well that's not the case, it probably does more harm then good actually because you don't actually know what's wrong and you are erasing valuable information when you do that. now you are going to have to drive it around for a while till the light comes back on. then go get it scanned and see what the code is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can scan right away for "Pending" codes. You may not get anything until you go through the ECU recal procedure which should be complete after 1 tank of fuel. Never disconnect battery to remove a cel. You should always use a scan tool to do this. As the poster above stated, you lose a lot of valuable info. I bought an inexpensive scanner at a local store (Princess Auto) on sale for $50.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.