8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how long after you ordered it did it take before you recieved your new Civic. I just order mine on Monday and the dealer couldn't give me a date just yet. He said he wouldn'y know for a week or so. By the way I'm in Southern Ontario Canda, so the plant is just up the road.

Also anybody looking for a good deal on a new Civic in Ontario. I just purchased mine for -$750 of the bat pluse 4.9% finacing. The local dealer wouldn't give me a deal what so ever and 7.9%.

·
Registered
194 Posts
-$750 off MSRP isn't too bad for a brand new car here in Canada... I think anyway.

I know folks from US always talk about how never pay the MSRP, only pay how much over dealer's invoice price etc, with all the online tools they have for the US. All these info and tools just don't seem to be much if all available in Canada it seems... but then on the other hand I've hever heard of anyone I know in Canada that was asked to pay more the MSRP for a car (which sometimes happen in US?!).

·
Registered
774 Posts
Depending on the model you are getting you shouldnt pay MSRP in the US. The dealer pay's invoice price, minus holdback usualy at 2% of invoice price which dealer gets after the car is sold and factory to dealer incentives (if any). So if invoice for an Si is $18,500(ex.) and holdback is $370 (2% of $18,500) then dealer only paid $18,130. I dont know if Honda has any factory to dealer incentives right now for the new models, but if they do then you can subtract at least another $300 from $18,130. It may be hard to go below MSRP on the Si though. Go to www.carbuyingtips.com and you will be schooled on how to buy a car. You may be able to use some on this in Canada also.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya the $750 was nice, but the 4.9% was even better it saves me around $2500 cad over the 5 years. He also added all season floor mats for nothing and I was also able to get the $500 grad rebate.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
oncogene said:
-$750 off MSRP isn't too bad for a brand new car here in Canada... I think anyway.

I know folks from US always talk about how never pay the MSRP, only pay how much over dealer's invoice price etc, with all the online tools they have for the US. All these info and tools just don't seem to be much if all available in Canada it seems... but then on the other hand I've hever heard of anyone I know in Canada that was asked to pay more the MSRP for a car (which sometimes happen in US?!).
That almost always happens in the US. BS dealer fees and such.

And as far as buying a car, the rules are universal. Basically, don't get screwed. ;) If you don't know much about car buying, do the research. You'll be amazed at the amount of information out there that can actually help you. And if you don't wanna do that, take somebody who knows their stuff about buying a car. Again, you just don't wanna get screwed paying MSRP when you could save a couple hundred dollars paying less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Be aware.. long post.... or maybe not....
I could nevery get about this deposit -> wait -> don't show up on time thing
I was told by one of the dealer in DC area that I need to wait till end of Jan for a sedan w/nav
couple others told me I could put deposits on the one coming in end of Nov or mid Dec
I prefer GG Sedan w/Navi, but no one has it or already been sold
So I put a deposit on a TW Coupe w/Navi, since it's the fastes to arrive and my 2nd choice of color
All of a sudden yesterday I got an email from the other dealer and told me that they got COUPLE of them w/ Navi in stock
So I called up and my sales told me that they got GG, RB, AS sedans w/Navi, but I was told the AS supporsed to be here end of Nov
now not just the AS show up, they even got 2 others
couple minutes later my sales called me back and told me that GG sedan w/ Navi was sold yesterday
I was like "ok, I will just wait for my TW coupe from other dealer then."
Half hours later he called me back again....
He FOUND another GG Sedan w/ Navi at back......
can someone please tell me what the heck is going on here?
Dealers don't know what exactly they are getting ??
Anyways, gonna pick up my car tonight~
can't wait for that new car smell

·
Registered
194 Posts
audibleforce said:
Depending on the model you are getting you shouldnt pay MSRP in the US. The dealer pay's invoice price, minus holdback usualy at 2% of invoice price which dealer gets after the car is sold and factory to dealer incentives (if any). So if invoice for an Si is $18,500(ex.) and holdback is $370 (2% of $18,500) then dealer only paid $18,130. I dont know if Honda has any factory to dealer incentives right now for the new models, but if they do then you can subtract at least another $300 from $18,130. It may be hard to go below MSRP on the Si though. Go to www.carbuyingtips.com and you will be schooled on how to buy a car. You may be able to use some on this in Canada also.
Well at least now the Canadian dollar is on crack (exchange rate!), it's almost like we'r paying less at MSRP then ppl in US paying at invoice price bargain heh :D... not that it matters tho heh

·
Registered
194 Posts
SharKy said:
Be aware.. long post.... or maybe not....
I could nevery get about this deposit -> wait -> don't show up on time thing
I was told by one of the dealer in DC area that I need to wait till end of Jan for a sedan w/nav
couple others told me I could put deposits on the one coming in end of Nov or mid Dec
I prefer GG Sedan w/Navi, but no one has it or already been sold
So I put a deposit on a TW Coupe w/Navi, since it's the fastes to arrive and my 2nd choice of color
All of a sudden yesterday I got an email from the other dealer and told me that they got COUPLE of them w/ Navi in stock
So I called up and my sales told me that they got GG, RB, AS sedans w/Navi, but I was told the AS supporsed to be here end of Nov
now not just the AS show up, they even got 2 others
couple minutes later my sales called me back and told me that GG sedan w/ Navi was sold yesterday
I was like "ok, I will just wait for my TW coupe from other dealer then."
Half hours later he called me back again....
He FOUND another GG Sedan w/ Navi at back......
can someone please tell me what the heck is going on here?
Dealers don't know what exactly they are getting ??
Anyways, gonna pick up my car tonight~
can't wait for that new car smell
I'd say they'r just trying to sell whatever they had in the lot, quick.

This my buying story back in 2001, not civic, my rav4 :)
--I went into the dealership on boxing day, after alot of blah blah blah, I placed an order on a BLUE color... and I only made $100 deposit (lol, coz my credit card was out of credit heh). The saleswoman said for certain they'll be getting a BLUE in 7-10 days, or less.
--After 2 weeks (as in 14 days), the BlUE color I wanted was nowhere in sight, the sales said oh they had one but was sold before getting on the lot or whatever crap they made up.... sureeeee whatever.
--Then now the sales told me I either get a SILVER (lots silver models), or I might have to wait for TWO EXTRA MONTHS for a BLUE. So I hanged up and starting calling other Toyota dealers in Toronto area (~20 of them, only 1 dealer in my town).
-- After calling 6 dealers, 3 of them had what I want, blue, 2 of them even had right in the lot and could give me VIN# right away.
-- I called back my local dealer and said too bad I'm cancelling my order bye... then very quickly the salesman said wait and transfer me to the dealer's manager. I told my 'story' to the manager... he asked me if I thought the salesman was lying?! I was like "what do you think huhhhh? anyway I'm cancelling ok!"
-- Then the "miracle" happened... all of a sudden, in less than 3 second... the manager said '" oh , I JUST FOUND a BLUE model for you... have confirmed VIN# etc blah blah...will be here in 2 weeks" ... "Another 2 weeks? NO sorry! I need a car to drive"... "hum ok we'll give u a car to drive until ur order comes".... "hum ok... but i dont' have auto insurance yet without my own car."... "ok u can use our dealership's insurance"..... "OK then"

Sorry long post :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
i had my dealer locate a silver EX coupe 5M for me from out of state, since they didn't have any in north carolina at the time.

it took me a week, but I got what I wanted. They would have ordered me one, but I had already sold my CR-V and I was car-less for a day, so i had to have a car THAT weekend. lol.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
i got mine in about a month from Windsor Honda (canada) , we had 8 civics on backorder cause they were selling like hotcakes!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Wow just signed and placed an order for a (Canada, ontario) 06 sedan LX Fujiblue MT (MSRP$20300Cdn):)
I got, sorta, $1000 off the final price, so it translated to ~$870 off MSRP, which isn't too bad I hope :) but I do have my existing car for tradein... so I guess they have a bigger profit margin to give me that discount. should have ask for the free set of floor mats too like you, damb,... kinda forgot :)

Should be here in couple of weeks the manager said, since a MT is easier to get (if AT, would have to wait longer). Should know for certain in couple of days :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts