8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forums as you can tell and just purchased a 2008 Civic SI Sedan a few weeks back. I have been driving manual transmission vehicles for years but this is the first 6spd for me. I was just wondering what speed you guys are normally going to have it in 6th if you are on the freeway. I live on the central coast and freeway speed is 65. I feel like if I am going a steady 73-75 or higher, I am good in 6th. If I drop below that it doesn't feel like I have enough power to be in 6th and should be in 5th. Any input or comments appreciated.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
i used 6th at like 40-45 mph it has no power but i can use it at a steady speed. if i need to accelerate the slightest bit i go to 5th.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I find I hardly use 5th when I'm driving Si/RSX/CSX, I just bang through the gears up to 4th and then shift to 6th to cruise... I use it for pretty much anything over 100 (oops I'm in Canada, that's 60 to you yanks)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess its hard because if you know the central coast, you know that there arent many straight aways and tons of hills throughout the 101, hills big enough that 6th wont take me up at a decent enough speed. I was just wondering, downshifting isnt a problem, just a question to see how others are driving. Will try 6th for cruising and see what it does for my gas. Learn as you go I guess

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
i doubt anyone could hit top speed in gear 6th stock or with slightly to moderate modification.

unless on the dyno jet or jack stand.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
i usually dont like to hit into 6th unless im on the highway other then that im fairly new to a stick shift so i get scared when its at low rpms in high gears : / feels weird.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always felt the same when in other vehicles I owned, but the SI is extremely different than any other vehicle I have owned and from the input given, it sounds like ill be driving it different.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts