8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey i have an x intake but i ve added a jeaintake style "heatshield" to it. basically i kept everything the same as an x intake but kept the original airbox cover as a heatshield and clipped it back on. i didnt force the air filter in or anything, theres no damage to the filter or around the filter becuz i dremeled out the inside of the airbox cover as u can c in the pics. but how efificient is this? does it matter at this point whether i have the "heatshield" or not? does it increase air suction or anything? thanks

parts used: 80mm apexi air filter, spectre coupler 3", and dremeled out oem maf sensor

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
i dont understand why u would cheap out on a nice car like the 06-10 si..

seems like to nice of a car to be hacking on the air box and using autozone brand items on..

but non the less this looks semi effective, and saved u on some money for an intake, i would try and make that air box around the area u cut it look better.. somehow i dont know how.

maybe drill a hole in the bottom for a cold air tube ran from the bumper that could be cool.. for some cool air haha.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Not really- you're still drawing air from the back of the engine where the header is. To make the heatshield effective, you'd need to surround it to manipulate where the air would be coming from, for example, cooler air from above the cowl area.

If you have flashpro, you could monitor the IAT's before and after to see the difference your intake makes.

Edit: to the above poster, I don't see how any of the parts are "autozone brand." It's an x-intake, plus the apexi filter is one of the best on the market

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
Not really- you're still drawing air from the back of the engine where the header is. To make the heatshield effective, you'd need to surround it to manipulate where the air would be coming from, for example, cooler air from above the cowl area.

If you have flashpro, you could monitor the IAT's before and after to see the difference your intake makes.

Edit: to the above poster, I don't see how any of the parts are "autozone brand." It's an x-intake, plus the apexi filter is one of the best on the market
spectre coupler..

in the "ricer" section of every autozone..

and i apologize for not reading it was a nice apexi filter i assumed it was a spectre like the crappy coupler.

·
Binks
18,140 Posts
i dont understand why u would cheap out on a nice car like the 06-10 si..

seems like to nice of a car to be hacking on the air box and using autozone brand items on..

but non the less this looks semi effective, and saved u on some money for an intake, i would try and make that air box around the area u cut it look better.. somehow i dont know how.

maybe drill a hole in the bottom for a cold air tube ran from the bumper that could be cool.. for some cool air haha.
Cheap out? The x-intake/jea86 intake is pretty effective. And there's really nothing wrong with buying a Spectre coupler.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i c, hrmm i guess for aesthetics reason, i should take off the cover lol? btw to the above poster, i bought a fujita intake, and a k&N and this is by far the best setup i have so far, no rpm bouncing or boggin. btw isnt it also drawing air from the bottom area behind the bumper since i left the bottom intake hoses attached to the lower airbox on?

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
Cheap out? The x-intake/jea86 intake is pretty effective. And there's really nothing wrong with buying a Spectre coupler.
i guess i say cheap out because the cut on that box makes the engine bay of his 20+k$ car look like crap..

and if guys think spectre is a good brand and nice to see under the hood of a nice car.. then u need to re think lol

but ok this intake is awsome i love i bet it flows great and provides gains better than any brand intake awsome job with the cuts i love it..

i think ill sell my turbo set and buy a tsi kit now!!! with a ebay gt30

AWSOME

·
Binks
18,140 Posts
It's just a coupler, which connects the tube to the intake filter. Just because the brand name is Spectre, it WILL have the same function as another coupler with a different brand name. It's better than just using duct tape to connect them together.

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
It's just a coupler, which connects the tube to the intake filter. Just because the brand name is Spectre, it WILL have the same function as another coupler with a different brand name. It's better than just using duct tape to connect them together.
the worst ive seen was electrical tape..

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Brand of a coupler isn't that big of a deal. Even if the quality is worse than Samco it doesn't really need to do that much to begin with.

Don't think the setup is efficient, because part of the reason for using the apex'i 80mm is the increased surface area of the filter element. If the filter is tightly fitting inside the box, then that's that much less of the filter that's being used. Something like CT engineering's heat shield would probably be better imo.

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
Function over form. Yeah I prefer to have a cleaner look in the engine bay but if it works than thats what matters.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
mine is a little smoother, i used a fujita filter, and the HPS hose.
when I compared my IAT's to what JEA was getting with his CTE short ram heatshield, we were about the same amount above outside temperature w/driving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.