8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am possibly getting a 2008 LX or EX w/o navigation. I know there is an aux in the console. I want XM, as I can't live without it. I use a stand alone XM unit now in my vehicle, but it is not the type with a suction cup etc...the installers at Circuit City screwed it into my dash.

I don't want to ruin the dash by having a screw put in it. Can the stock non nav head unit run XM with the purchase of the XM kit from Honda? And if so, what does the display look like and what type of controls does it have? Will you see the pad data (the text that shows song, artist, or topic if you are listening to a talk radio show)?

If it's not worth it I will just get the XM XpressRC unit and have it attached to my windshield even though it's ugly. What is the best route?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just installed an XM unint in my car. It took about an hour with no drilling. Very easy. You will need to run wires under plastic molding on passenger side. I used double stick tape, but would recomend velcro to connect the head unit in the roof of the tray in front of the shifter. I can post pics in the morning. If you have what I have you should have as fallows

1. Xm head unit
2. Wire for sat antenae
3. Wire for antenae that connects to to your rear window antenae
4. Aux wire connector
I did not buy anything that did not already come with the unit. No wires show and the civic can provide a very clean install. Also I did not put the sat antenae outside of the car, I put it on the dash all the way up front near the windshield, looks factory.

I will try and get you pics.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I am possibly getting a 2008 LX or EX w/o navigation. I know there is an aux in the console. I want XM, as I can't live without it. I use a stand alone XM unit now in my vehicle, but it is not the type with a suction cup etc...the installers at Circuit City screwed it into my dash.

I don't want to ruin the dash by having a screw put in it. Can the stock non nav head unit run XM with the purchase of the XM kit from Honda? And if so, what does the display look like and what type of controls does it have? Will you see the pad data (the text that shows song, artist, or topic if you are listening to a talk radio show)?

If it's not worth it I will just get the XM XpressRC unit and have it attached to my windshield even though it's ugly. What is the best route?
Its a factory option just ask...built right in...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, it's a factory option all right.... Honda should not be allowed to put "XM Ready" on the stickers of non-NAV cars. It will cost approximately $600 to get XM installed on my 2008 EX Coupe (5 sp Manual). They'll need to have the car for an entire day. From checking around, I think around $600 is ballpark to have it installed, unless you go the Circuit City route and get an external unit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just finished installing the xm kit from college hills honda that I ordered.It took me about 3-4 hours total(I was being very careful and using the zipties per the instructions).It looks better that the tuner is hidden and everything is controlled by the head unit and steering wheel controls.What I found to be odd was that the non-navi premium radios are made by clarion and the xm tuner is made by pioneer.Sound is terrific and I would do this again in a heartbeat.As for the 2008 non-navi models,I was at a dealership yesterday and the 08 models do not offer xm as an option if it does not have the navi.So you cannot even go out and purchase the xm kit like you can for the 06-07 models and add it to your radio.I think honda made a mistake by requiring you to buy the navi to get factory xm.But I personally think all ex and si models should come with factory xm standard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.