8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a simple design that counts down the % until a change is needed simply based on milage or does it actually somehow determine how dirty the oil is, how hard the car is driven etc? Someone asked me a few days ago and its something I've never really thought about lol.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
It goes off of how hard the car is driven. The easier you drive the longer the oil will last.
:yeahthat:

i doesn't gauge how dirty the oil is

it bases oil life off of how hard you are on the motor and how many revolutions the motor does..

so the lower you keep the rpm and the easier you drive the longer it'll suggest between oil change intervals..

i drive basically all hwy...so lower very consistant rpm...OCI are between 8500-9500 miles

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
I'm going to find out how accurate the sensor is in "calculating" the remaining engine oil life.

Right now my Si has 30K on it with 2,000 miles on the current oil - Mobil1 EP paired with a HAMP oil filter. I will drain the oil @ 3,000 miles and send it off to get analized.

Due to the fact that I drive it HARD I've been changing the oil every 3K with 60-40% oil life left. Look for a thread about it in the near future.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm using Mobil 1 EP and will change it out at 7800 or 5% remaining oil life. At $7.50/qt, I think it should go the full distance.
I'd swag that your oil change interval is in direct correlation to your fuel mileage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.