8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People keep saying religiously how Honda will not go F/I on the SI, even in the future production models. How do they plan on competing when you have cheaper cars like the SS cobalt making more power at almost 3-5 grand less on average..

I just brought up this thread because a guy in my neighborhood just picked up a mazdaspeed3 and it really blew me away. I won't go into it because I don't want to make this a worship thread dedicated to the MS3.

Right now I really kind of feel like I was cheated on the value I got for my money because honda is banking on their name rather than putting out a competitive product. People keep talking about how advanced the motor in the SI is, but all I'm seeing is a high redline, mediocre horsepower and a far below average amount of torque.

Then you bring other aspects of the car into the mix.. the interior namely. I tested a Cobalt SS before the SI and sadly, the interiors are comparable. The mazda3's blows both of them out of the water.. but I'm more disheartened by the fact that a cobalt has the same quality interior as a honda.

Does anyone else feel like the SI isn't living up to it's competition or am I just expecting too much?

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Ill hang on to my Honda. A Z06 Corvette pushes more power than a BMW 745i and the Z06 is cheaper. So why do people still buy the BMW. Power is not the reason I bought the Si...its the entire package.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can understand where your coming from but I can assure you that your honda was built a lot better than a chevy cobalt...Honda's last there built to last many many years..that was their core philosophy when they started marketing these cars in the US...They are built to last longer than American cars....Honda truly equals quality..I love my Honda

·
Registered
595 Posts
I dont think I SI is really based on HP and Interior Rather than overall. sure the Si has worse interior than the MS3 and sure the cobalt has the same quality interior. I dont think honda needs to have all the HP, If they did the suspension would suck (cobalt) and sure the MS3 has alot of balls but you cant even use that power in 1st and 2nd gear(thats where it matters IMO). Overall I think our cars are up to par with the game. In alot of test we show up right under the GTI and above the rest.
I think the next model we will get the HP bump but will stay "underpowerd" and still out handle alot of the compitetion.

Remember Si means SPORTS INJECTED not Balls to the wall pocket rocket.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
I forsee FI in the future for the Si...Acura now has a turbo vehicle...so why not the Si? People would be killing each other to get an FI Si...even if it cost closer to 30k...I mean in reality that's about what a new GTI costs once they nickel and dime you to death on accessories...

Hopefully Honda has enough sense to realize this...

·
Registered
595 Posts
CaliGuy said:
I forsee FI in the future for the Si...Acura now has a turbo vehicle...so why not the Si? People would be killing each other to get an FI Si...even if it cost closer to 30k...I mean in reality that's about what a new GTI costs once they nickel and dime you to death on accessories...

I think that will happen soon as well but im not thinking the next gen si will have FI maybe the 8th.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I didn't buy my Si to race, I bought cause its the perfect combination of speed and economy. I have a lot more fun goin quick through the twisties than just flooring it at a light. BTW if i really wanted some power i'd have a bought a WRX.

·
Banned
441 Posts
I Vtec said:
How do they plan on competing when you have cheaper cars like the SS cobalt making more power at almost 3-5 grand less on average..
john mendel is now the president. 'nuff said.

if anybody knows john mendel, dude is a real enthusiast who came over from mazda. people don't get it now, but i'd expect to see some hot ish come out of honda in the next few years. look what they did for the v6 accord coupe. that's just the start.

·
Registered
114 Posts
CaliGuy said:

Honda does not need to realize that putting a forced induction motor in the Si will be beneficial. They already know it won't be, and here is why. The Si hits it's intended target audience right on the mark. The Si sells quickly even at a premium, has high resale and sells out it's model year run. The Si still recieves very high praise in magazine tests when compared to higher horse power vehiciles. The Si is still practical, ie Honda. In most cases the customer already knows they are going to buy an Si, and they usually don't sell to off the street customers. The aftermarket scene is huge for the Si, a major benefit to the image. The Si is a great vehicle to start off with when having a tuner import car. In stock form it is fun, safe, reliable and for most is all that is necessary. However, for those that want more it is a great base to work from, because it is already a great car with room for improvement. More power is always a key target, and you have your pick of turbo, supercharger, nitrous or crazy all motor. Handling and braking have room to grow, as well as personal styling. If Honda came out with an Si that was already maxed out it would leave little for all the people that love to work on their car. Sure, you can always modify a vehicle from factory stock, but it will be more expensive and you will have smaller gains. Bottom line, the Si is intended as a great sport compact car that satisfies the new drivers to those who want an all out race machine. That is what this site is all about right, the interest in your Si and what you can do to make it your car.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'm of a mind that I want a car that's ENJOYABLE to drive -- and the Si has that, in spades. Hell, if a Hugo was fun to drive, I'd probably be driving that now. For me, it's not about horsepower, it's about the fact that we know that Honda did their best to make this car exciting. Granted it's not as fast, but the high redline, the low torque (which makes you rev to redline), nimble steering, and futuristic looks make it a good car.

But, that may be the sole opinion of that nature here. I'm not into power (though it would also be enjoyable in its own way, I admit), but I was interested in the new MX-5 even if it had less power, was more expensive, etc. --- because by all accounts, Miata's are just that much more fun to drive. Stupid Mazda dealership -- ripping my nuts off on interest.... :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
To the OP, have you read all the threads about people modding their cars, breaking something, and then expect Honda to fix it? I couldn't imagine the warranty claims they would have.

I have done my fair share of taking advantage of warranties but nowadays, Service Dept's are catching on and more and more warranty claims are denied each year. What I think a lot of the younger crowd doesn't understand is that "you gotta pay to play"...

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think a lot of you guys are forgetting that a LOT of cars.. are reliable now-a-days.. I have a friend whose whole family are Ford enthusiasts and they have several ford's pushing 6 digits with minimal problems at worst. I have a couple of other friends with chevys that are also hitting higher mileage without much crap going on.

Then I look at my civic and can't help but think how I've brought mine in over 5 times in the 4 months (got in end of april) I've had it. Then I think of the handling and remember that you can get similiar handling cars (if not better handling) in the WRX, MS3 and GTI... Then I look at all those cars and see each one is putting out more power than the Si.

I just think if a buyer really did his research before buying a car in this segment, the SI will get overlooked a lot. If I had known I could've gotten an upscaled interior, double the torque (literally), more horsepower, more refinement, for ~2k more, I would of gone the other path as well..

I do, however, hold much love for the SI because I think it's a pretty damn fun car to drive... I just hate to think of Honda getting slack on the SI because they've become too comfortable with sales coming from their name alone. I want them to build it into something respectful - I hate seeing the GTI, MS3 and countless other cars making ~70+ more torque, more horsepower, and having more refinement at competitive pricing.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
When I was shopping for my car, the only car that came close to my budget (Si's price range) was the Golf GTi. However, with all the crap I would want to have on it, it pushed the price range way too far up. Next would be the MX-5, but again, they screwed me over and I walked. Even then, the car I wanted (Grand Touring) was almost 26k. MS3 wasn't out, didn't even THINK to look at the Cobalt and SRT-4 -- I've never owned Domestic, and I'm not really planning to, ever. Well, nevermind, I *would* own a Jeep.

Anyway, your car is giving you trouble. My car hasn't. I guess that's the difference. Although, my car DID start rattling today -- but that was probably the tinter's fault, rather than the car's.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
Nothing beats the SI for what it is Exterior styling,interior styling,8k madness,Excellent suspension,very comfy,turns so many heads with the hfp kit car cant be beat for the money bottom Line !

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
the civic si already has close to 200 horsepower N/A. imagine if they strap a turbo on this sucker pretuned from the factory? i see something big passing by the R32 and mazdaspeed3 real quick

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
yes honda is quality but imho the si is not the best valued car...best looking yes....stop complaining bout the si and go and buy another car...honda will never add hp just to compete with the likes of ms3 and cobalt cause they dont hav to...mazda and chevy r doing that (more hp) to compete with honda

1 - 20 of 250 Posts