8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really at a loss right about now. I can not figure out how to get this thing off.

It's the TWM short shift adapter. I removed the bolt but the adapter will not come off. Is there a trick to it? It'll spin around in a circle freely... just getting it off is the problem.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the whole console scooted back to make room. There is plenty of room no doubt.

I'm gonna worry about that blue cap once the adapter comes off. I'm hoping that'll make that part easier.

Did you have to pry the two halves apart with a screwdriver and slide it off simultaneously?

I've been working on this now for about half an hour. It's getting really frustrating and I don't want to break anything so I thought I'd ask before something did. Alrighty... 10 more minutes out in the car and I'll check the thread again.

·
Registered
28,322 Posts
I easily poped off the blue cap with an open ended wrench just big enough to get it between the cap & the ball end. This will probably work with removing the SS too.

·
Registered
695 Posts
just use a flat blade screwdriver to pry it off thats what I did. I was scared I was going to break it, you could try and put some wd40 underneath or around the cap so that it might slide off easier.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wrench works beautifully. I used it to get the blue cap off when I first installed the SS.
Used it again today to remove the SS itself. Used it again to pry the cap off the SS.

Getting it back on was another story. Couldn't really use the vise this time...

Ah well. I also removed the base bushings. Everything is back together again though.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT:
Just curious why you want to take it off
My third gear has been messing up a lot lately. I'm taking everything aftermarket related to the transmission off until a definitive fix comes out for it. I did notice the notchyness level came down a little. Hopefully taking out the shifter bushings will help out also, but I'm not taking my airbox out until my xfactor intake comes in.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anything, it just makes it more apparent. If you've got a problem, you're going to feel it even more.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
short shifts are always notchy. its just the nature of the shortened throw. even cars with oem short shifts are notchy. the Si does actually have shorter shifts than most cars as OEM, and the adapter makes it even shorter.

i however, fail to see why notchy is a particularly bad thing....

·
Registered
809 Posts
short shifts are always notchy. its just the nature of the shortened throw. even cars with oem short shifts are notchy. the Si does actually have shorter shifts than most cars as OEM, and the adapter makes it even shorter.

i however, fail to see why notchy is a particularly bad thing....
Maybe we're talking about a two different things but the whole 3rd gear issue is because if the notch in it. It feels like it went into 3rd but it didnt. It's only half way in and when you release the clutch it grinds and kicks the shifter back. Many owners describe this as it popping out of 3rd when it never really went in. So the NOTCH is a bad thing. :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Maybe we're talking about a two different things but the whole 3rd gear issue is because if the notch in it. It feels like it went into 3rd but it didnt. It's only half way in and when you release the clutch it grinds and kicks the shifter back. Many owners describe this as it popping out of 3rd when it never really went in. So the NOTCH is a bad thing. :SHOCKED:
i know what this feeling is, it feels like it takes 2 notches to get into third. but that in itself i wouldnt call notchiness...if this is all the problem is i dont see the big deal, because you eventually get used to feeling the difference between the partial in and the full in.

ive suggested it before, and ill suggest it again, and now im even more convinced people should try this... if your having this problem, stop using such heavy knobs like 400grams and such..try switching to a sub 150gram knob, you get more feedback through the shifter, and you will feel when its fully in. (oem knob is 240grams btw)

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
wedge a screw driver where the split is and twist a bit. not too much, just a bit at a time.
it'll come off easy

·
Registered
809 Posts
i know what this feeling is, it feels like it takes 2 notches to get into third. but that in itself i wouldnt call notchiness...if this is all the problem is i dont see the big deal, because you eventually get used to feeling the difference between the partial in and the full in.

ive suggested it before, and ill suggest it again, and now im even more convinced people should try this... if your having this problem, stop using such heavy knobs like 400grams and such..try switching to a sub 150gram knob, you get more feedback through the shifter, and you will feel when its fully in. (oem knob is 240grams btw)
Yeah, I guess a lighter shift knob would probably give you better feedback than a heavy one. Kind of like a real sensitive fishing pole will let you know when a lunker large mouth is nibbling on your bait.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts