8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask this because I have never gotten better than 24 miles per gallon. And that was all freeway driving. Portland to Seattle. About 300 miles.
Is this the formula?...........

Fill up your tank with gas. Zero the odometer. Run the gas down close to empty. Fill up the tank a second time and note the odometer reading. Miles/ gallons=MPG.

This may come across as comedy but I'm serious.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Sounds like you got the right formula.

You have to take into considerations that how much gas you actually get into your tank will vary depending on temperature, speed of the pump, angle the car is sitting at, etc.

Because of these variables it is best to do the calculation over the course of several tanks and average the numbers you get. This will somewhat even out any discrepancies.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
You got it right. But you don't need to run it down to empty. You could drive only 50 miles and check your mpg. It will be a more accurate average if you use up most of your tank though. And don't top off your gas tank after the auto stop.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
wow Mike, thats pretty cool. never seen that but it might be worth the $170..

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I alwats start off trying to get the best mpg I can, then once I hit the freeway and hit ivtec lots of times I remember,......oopps! haha

·
Registered
228 Posts
I want more pics of the scangauge II please how it looks with the wire installed etc

Id also like to know how your averageing 37.5mpg, as i have never seen better then 32mpg

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It says current under 37.5, so I'm guessing that's the real time mpg. It looks as if the Si gets 37.5 mpg when keeping a constant speed of 40 in sixth gear. This is assuming he's not accelerating or decelerating while taking the picture.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
GMP :pat::iorun:
Gallons Miles Per ? :xyxnervou

I want more pics of the scangauge II please how it looks with the wire installed etc

Id also like to know how your averageing 37.5mpg, as i have never seen better then 32mpg
I'll go snap some now. The current is part of the trips. There's 4. Tank, yesterday, today and current. Each of the trips stores info like MPG and other info. Tank, yesterday and today are self explanatory but current resets every time the engine is off for like 4 mins. I also just hit reset and was gettin that mileage just crusin.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Ok, here we go. IMO this is the best spot for the SG2. Its perfectly in the field of view and isn't just sittin there out of place on the dash like it was for me before. The dash came off really easily btw, the wire fit fine in front of the gauge pod.

Same place my SCGII is mounted. I also keep the water temp displayed, Instant MPG, and trip average MPG,

Did you have to cut out a slot for the wire in order for the dash to fit back? Does the cover just pop off? any special method to pull it off or tips?

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Thanks yea it totally worth it. The newer version can even calculate HP. :dancing:

Its also nice to have a # for a temp gauge instead of bars.
Hmm. Didn't know about that. I wonder if my sgii can do this? I think I have version 3.14

I've done the xgauge to add in trip MPG. So It should work with the HP.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts