8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, when it comes to detailing the interior I am not a pro by all means and need help. All my past cars have been black or charcoal colored so cleaning the interior has been simple.

Since I wanted a white civic I had to get the beige interior which is extremely prone to getting dirty and looking dirty.

1) Well, on the drivers side, the plastic to the left side of the seat is dirty from my shoes getting in and out of the car. I wanted to know what's the best way to clean plastic interior.

2) Also, there are scratches on the plastic close to where I put my seat belt on probably from my cell phone hanging out of my pocket. Is there an easy way to polish those scratches out? N
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
To clean the plastic between the seat and the door, the door sill. Just use the mitt you use when you wash the car. Ring out the mitt so it's just a little damp, wipe down the sill and dry it off with a towel. You can then put a little protectant on it if you'd like to shine it up. That's what I do and it always comes out great. No need for any special cleaners or any of that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i wouldnt use armour all on your dash and stuff cause when u put that on there and it bakes in the sun. it can actually dry out your dash and cause it to start cracking...NO GOOD

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
If the scuffs are stubborn but mainly superficial, there is one, just one...ArmorAll item that works better than any of the detailing-specific equipment that I have: ArmorAll "Cleaning Wipes". In a little hand-wipe dispenser bottle at any of the big box automotive aisles, and also at your local auto supply store. They are just called "Cleaning Wipes". They don't contain any dressings or anything. They are excellent at removing foot scuffs on that back of your seats and along the plastics in your cockpit and door panels.

Then there are the real scratches...
And I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating.
Trying to repair (fix) scratches on interior plastic is like trying to repair the texture in used sandpaper. It ain't happening! It's like dragging a screwdriver along your dashboard. Once you warp the surface of that texture, there isn't much you can do to fix that unique textured surface that once was :thumb:.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went out and bought a bottle of Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer ( I guess this is a new product from Meguiar) and the dirt came right off the plastic. I love this stuff. It also does not leave any glossy finish and does not have that slippery feel when you are done. Also has a UV coating. As for the small scratches, no fix. Oh well, 1 out of 2.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Yes, I ring the mitt out and leave the soapy water on it. I then follow up with Black Magic Natural Finish. No Gloss at al and smells amazing! When I smelled it I sounded like Randy Jackson from American Idol.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Nice job on the QID spray. It is my go-to interior "dressing". I like the nongreasy finish, the mild cleaning ability, and the mild UV protection as well :). Plus, applying it goes by quite fast. Oh, and it's cheap and available everywhere!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
i wouldnt use armour all on your dash and stuff cause when u put that on there and it bakes in the sun. it can actually dry out your dash and cause it to start cracking...NO GOOD
That was from the crap they were pushing a decade ago. The one these days leave it oily but doesn't crack. Otherwise, my dash would be a mess right now.

If you're that worried about it, just apply it to the areas you want to lessen the scuff and scratches.

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
I stopped using this stuff when I realized Armor All has a lot of alcohol in it, which is what eventually dries out your material and cracks it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts